Author Topic: A bit sad .  (Read 3079 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: A bit sad .
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 10:19:00 »
A sad story Kea :(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 22:29:59 »
We have 3 daughters. One 20 mins away, 0ne 30mins away & one 90 mins away but she has now bought a house 3mins away which she uses when her OH is away on business. So we are very lucky.
OH says they should all live abroad. One in India, one in NZ & the last one in Australia. See the pattern here.
He LOVES cricket.
I love cricket to. It means I can garden in peace without being told what to do. Hooray. The test match starts tomorrow.
Janet.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 22:47:20 »
A sad story Kea :(

Yes, it really is, kea.

grannyjanny, I hope you get the weather to enjoy being a cricket widow ;D

cj :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 22:50:05 »
We have one 20 min. away, one 4 1/2 hrs. away and one 3 hrs. away.  The hard part is not seeing the grandkiddies as often as we'd like. But it is possible to get them here simultaneously once or twice a year for a reunion, plus Christmas and we get away to visit them fairly often to see a grandchild in a concert etc. Plus the phone and internet. Cannot really complain. Often I think about folks who emigrated back in the 1800s and never saw family again. Now THAT is sad.

Kea, sorry to hear about your mother. Couldn't she have written you a letter though if she'd been unhappy?
Sometimes I think we beat ourselves up too much feeling guilty when people make their own choices, sometimes bad choices, but none the less, their choices.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 13:29:15 »
Guess I am a lucky one? :o  No 3 daughter next door, no 1 daughter 2 streets away,
no 2 daughter 10 miles away. One and only son, his business office and workshop
1/2mile away and his home 1.1/2miles away.

So you can see why my kettle is NEVER cold ;D

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 13:49:47 »
Lorna I so wished that was the case for me....my foster daughter & her 5 year old son are 6 hours away, my 21 year old son is living in the same town as me but has 2 jobs so isnt able to see us much, my 19 year old is leaving for Uni at Derby in September. Im so chuffed for him but also very sad.
I have already been having the odd cry about it in private  :'(
I will really miss him & so will his 11 year old brother who is going to have to adjust to being the only child at home.
Im in kent & dont drive, how I wish I had learnt now but there was always something seemingly more important to spend the money on & as i am now divorced I dont have the finances available to learn now  :-\

Kea I am so very sorry  :'(

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 14:07:53 »
Both of mine are still at home, we took Eldest daughter to see Newport Uni, and when she was told it was 99% certain she was in for this September I shed a tear!
Dreading seeing my 1st baby leaving home, but soooooooooo excited for her.

I was the one in the family that moved away, lived overseas for 13 years and it was heartwrenching every time I left the UK, didn't stop crying till we flew over the sea! (the worst when was my Dad died, and it took 2 days to get home)

But it had it's up sides, we had a wonderful life, the kids had a great childhood in a hot climate,fantastic memories, but now we miss our friends and family over there!
BUT, I now live almost opposite my Mum, which is great, especially at time like this when she has had an op and needs keeping an eye on!

Kea how awful for you, I have heard of this happening so many times, and I often feel sorry for my M-in-law, who is infirmed, and being looked after by rellies, but sadly we cannot be in 2 countries at once.  :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 17:43:28 »
I don't know maybe she was just happy that she still had one left but on the other hand it was things he did that made us all want to be somewhere else....I have another brother and sister who still live in NZ that were estranged from my Mother because of our older brothers actions. The rest of us are now communicating and we found all that out we now think it was part of a plan by our older brother to gain control.
My husband (English) said we should all emigrate to NZ but he's the one with a parent left and we visit her more than her other two children so I vetoed that idea at the moment as I know how hard it is.

My other hobby is family history and I did a lot of work on it over the winter and spent a lot of time wondering how they all coped moving to the other side of the world and never seeing family again with no phones or email. In one case as far as I can work out a Father and daughter emigrated leaving the rest of the family behind.

I've had a reprieve with my oldest leaving home as he failed his AS levels last year and repeated...in different subjects....so all his year are off to Uni and he's staying behind. Mind you I'm nearly ready to throw him out he can be so irritating!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a transporter like on Star Trek and be able to just pop to the other country.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 20:00:02 »
I was the only child and married an RAF fella.  Soon after marrying we were posted to Singpore.  My Mother was devastated and it took her a long long time to accept I wouldn't be living near her.  In 1968 -70 the only communication was by letter and she wrote to me almost every day.  I spoke to her 2 times by phone.  I didn't have a phone in Singapore and it wasn't until I worked with the RAF that she could book a phone call.  It cost her about £3 for a 3 minute call.  This was in 1970.  Changed days. 

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 20:04:46 »
My 30 year old son and girlfriend moved out about 3 weeks ago. Part of me misses them and part of me is happy. They're just down the road and for the moment we can see each other whenever we want. When Peter died so suddenly they moved in and they've been there for me for over a year. Now they need their own space. Number 2 son (27) is coming back home next week and will be here for at least a year! ;)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 20:40:30 »
My three are all in their thirties and flew the nest a long time ago.Still miss them. :)

It is hard on us mums but I take satisfaction in the fact that they all have happy lives.

In reality I could not cope with it all  now. My two year old Grandson wears me out.Have to have eyes in the back of your head. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal