Author Topic: The Lazy Kitchen Gardener + book reviews  (Read 1738 times)

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
The Lazy Kitchen Gardener + book reviews
« on: July 30, 2004, 11:12:01 »
I just wondered who else has read this? I have just bought it and had to find out if there is a cult of people with bottle beds and growing poles out there?? I think it is a great book, really funny and seemingly with lots of useful tips (though I have yet to try).  Do we have a booklist anywhere where we could do reviews for new people? I know that I have bought, borrowed and begged more gardening books than I care to admit and especially buying off amazon it would have been great to have some real people's opinions on how useful they are to allotment gardening.  
Should I start a list somewhere that could be sticky?? I would love to have an excuse to buy more books and if the gardening gurus on here recommended something that I didn't have I would really have no choice but to buy it straight away would I???  :D
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

oubykh

• Half Acre
Re:The Lazy Kitchen Gardener + book reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 11:26:35 »
great idea piglit, a section for book reviews.

i would suggest you cut and paste your post onto the Website Suggestions thread on the A4A home page

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 11:27:53 »
I like your idea piglit. I have a few gardening books but have given myself strict instructions not to buy any more! But I would be interested in what magazines people subscribe to. I have recently subscribed to The Kitchen Garden magazine and am looking forward to receiving my first copy in September.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 12:23:10 »
So what are bottle beds then piglit?

Sarah.

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 13:29:50 »
Hi Sarah-B,

The book is full of slightly madcap ideas for growning things - ie one title is 'how to grow 84 plants (you chose them) in just 2 sqare foot or less'.  The bottle beds involve 12 empty wine bottles, string and wrapping.  Basically you make a raised bed, filling the bottles with water which then absorbs heat throughout the day and releases at night, keeping your babies nice and toasty! There are many more wierd and wonderful suggestions but the best thing is the very down to earth approach - and the fact that he has noticed that all gardening books contradict each other! It is quite pricey for a small book but worth every penny in my opinion!
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal