Allotment Stuff > The Basics

New start - Organically

(1/1)

sanone:
Well like so many (or so it seems reading the messages here abouts), I've just been granted an allotment in my village.  :)

My plot hasn't been worked for over a year and in amoungst the weeds there are many soft fruit canes, bits or glass, glavanised metal tin buckets (very holely) and other RUBBISH.

My plan is the grow vegs and  I would welcome tips advice on how to begin the conversion from overgrown wilderness to a productive, healthy Organic plot. ???

Muddy_Boots:
Hi Sanone,

Bit at a time as most seem to say on here!  Bit like dangling carrot in front of nose!  Clear one bit, plant and then start another and keep looking back at the cleared bit

Best of luck

Kate

Mrs Ava:
Welcome Sanone.  I agree, little and often is king!  And if you are going to organic then you have plenty of digging ahead of you.  Mind you, if your plot was culitvated that recently, maybe it won't be so bad.  Ours hadn't been cultivated for about 18 months or so, and altho covered in weeds, they did come up easy-ish.  Try and save the fruit canes, if they aren't dead.  You never know, you might be able to bring them back and then you will be enjoying soft fruits next summer for freeeee!

Good luck, take lots of photos to chart your progress, and enjoy.

Piglet:
I would say same as the rest, little and often.  
Dont set yourself impossible targets its not a race, and enjoy yourself  :D it does take time especially if you plan to do it organically.  

I would suggest clearing the rubbish through the winter and working on small areas, if you can, cover some of your plot to keep the weeds down while you are working on other areas.    

Remember all other plots would have looked like yours at some point, mine was (and still is in areas).

Good luck
Piglet.

carrot-cruncher:
Sanone

First of all, welcome and congratulations.   I too got my first lottie recently (just before xmas to be exact) and I too want to be organic.   I've found several very useful website relating to organic gardening, which I've listed below.   I also have a couple of good books by a lady called Pippa Greenwood, one is about organic gardening and the other is aimed at first time gardeners.

What I've done with my plot is split it into three to make it more managable.   As I don't know the habits of the person before me I've set up a three year rotation on my plot.   This way each third won't be cultivated for two years, allowing time for any residual chemicals to wash away.

Digging wise I set my self a target of 1.5 hours digging a day, no more, no less.   This way I'm not overdoing it but I'm also making progress with clearing the first 1/3, ready for cultivation.

Good luck for the future.

www.organicgarden.org.uk
www.hdra.org.uk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version