Author Topic: Wobbly hen advice please  (Read 3441 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Wobbly hen advice please
« on: May 31, 2008, 20:45:16 »
On Thursday I went into our chicken enclosure to feed them and they all congregated round the entrance door.  They would not move, I accidentally slipped and one of the hens squealed.  I am not sure what part of her I hurt.  She limped away eventually. 

Next day all of the hens were fine (it is difficult to identify them individually as they all look very much the same).  Tonight my husband went in to feed and water them and what I think is the same hen kept toppling to her left and trying to steady herself with her wing.  She had food and water then went and sat underneath a small tree.

The hens are our pets that happen to provide us with eggs and my husband is besotted with them.  I feel really bad about what has happened.  Do I need to take her to the vet or hope that she gets better?  These are our first hens so it is all a bit of a learning curve.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Wobbly hen advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 21:44:16 »
Sounds like she might have hurt her leg.I do not keep hens but as you say if they are pets best to get the vets advice or someone experienced with hens.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 23:49:06 »
One for the pot?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 23:53:03 »
People do not normally put pets in pots. >:(

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:45:51 »
That's racist. You're calling Koreans abnormal!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:50:01 »
Sorry,do not get that one ??? ??? ???

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:56:31 »
Koreans eat dogs.  ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:06:10 »
Oh I See what you are on about now.

As a dog owner I find it hard to understand the kind of culture that eats dogs.I find it even harder to see why they treat them so cruelly.I have seen the pictures of dogs with their limbs tied up behind their backs.The suffering must be terrible.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:07:46 by betula »

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 23:00:57 »
If she's eating and drinking and not being bullied by the other girls, I'd wait a couple of days to see if she recovers.

Will she let you examine her legs/feet?  Can you see any obvious damage or do they look normal? 

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 10:54:42 »
Cocopops

As you may have read previous threads I got 12 recharged battery hens!

One of mine - named Gingerbread - suddenly was unable to put any weight on her leg - so I took her home - she was being bullied - and she has now made a full recovery - but it took nearly 3 weeks.  Hers was probably because they had now muscle tone at all in the begining!

Good luck with your girl - and definitely - not "one for the pot"!

Old Girl

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 19:32:26 »
I must be really soft.  I lay awake for hours last night worrying about this hen.  She us still managing to get out of the coup and eating and drinking.  Day by day she moves less and less.  My children keep saying "take her to the vets", but in rural Brittany they will probably think I am mad.  We have lots of friends who will take her and put her out of her pain.  I think I would rather do what my instincs tell me and take her to the vets. As long as she has the will to live I want to give her a chance but this, given in my opinion' is getting silly.  It is much easier with cats and dogs.

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 21:59:26 »
you're not daft at all!  I sleep with my window open so I can hear if my girls are in distress and I love them dearly.

If she's getting worse then go with your instincts, good luck!  Let us know how you get on and I'll send some healing thoughts your way

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 14:44:09 »
Cocopops any news on your wobbly hen?

Mine couldn't even stand - although she did eat and drink.  Can you take yours away from the rest of the chooks into a quiet corner - possibly a small enclosed area within their run for a bit of quiet recuperation.

One of my other ones jumped from a height and was limping a bit and the funny thing was that she saw me and as they all run over to say hello she was doing enormous hops and at a hell of a speed too!

Hope yours is going to be OK though!

Old Bird

:(

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 19:21:57 »
Good news I think.  She is still eating and drinking, and moving more away from the coop each day.  She still sits with her claws forward but is definitely more mobile.  The other hens are not bothering her at all.  This is six days in so I feel hopeful for her.

The other 16 hens are now laying approx. 19 eggs per day, two of them double yolkers.  My husband will have to supply his workmakes with free eggs or we will all have high cholesterol.

PS Thank you Betula (sic?) x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal