Author Topic: Our new neighbour doesn't like Trees!  (Read 4781 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Our new neighbour doesn't like Trees!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 20:24:22 »
Respectfully - or however you wish!!

The houses are, obviously, a bit more 'imposing' than the 'paddock' that had been there for centuries. But they are well built in Cotswold Stone.

We have always been on good terms with the person who built them - an active village member. She never complained about the trees.

We had never met any renter or owner before this latest one. The trees are a great barrier! We have added conifers (a repeat) - much as some hate them - to block direct view of windows - the houses are a storey higher than we are & thus 'overlook' us. This is the 'low' end of the houses.

Welcome to our peaceful village -  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/villagepainting.jpg  - all 11' of it!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 20:34:13 by tim »

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 22:24:51 »
Tim,
I think from reading your posts this time & previous ones that these trees have been allowed to grow for your benefit & no-one else.
I am plagued with leylandii in neighbours gardens, but in time, they realise the error of their ways & end up paying considerable money to reduce the crowns to an agreeable height for all concerned. If well done, the appearance is cosmetic, not detrimental.
My personal main objection is the loss of sunlight, particularly in the late afternoon/evening when one, I believe, has the right to sit & enjoy ones garden.
I trust your neighbour is not affected in such a way.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 02:28:42 »
In my local paper, a while back,  a couple bought a house next to a public footpath.

After they moved in, they complained of people looking into their house from the path and the late night noise.

Hence they wrote to the paper to raise a petition to have the footpath closed.

The said it devalued their house!

Did they not notice it when they bought the house ? Some people have some cheek !
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:30:57 by Pesky Wabbit »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 08:46:08 »
I knew someone in Cornwall who built a house next to a field which was earmarked for a village hall. He then campaigned, fortunately in vain, to stop them building it.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 09:33:28 »
They are beautiful trees Tim,I would not want to remove them.

We have a static caravan and it was sited next to a long row of trees that bordered the large garden of an old house.The site has been there for years.

The house was sold and a small estate was built.The trees all gone and a 6 feet wooden fence in place.House looming over us.The new owners do not like caravans.You can not reason with people like this.

One thing about village life,we moved to a village nearly two years ago and it is hard to make friends and join in.The cliques are enormous.People who have lived in the village for years and all know each other well seem to resent newcomers.

Give me inner city Birmingham anytime,we had lots of friends and people were cheerful and friendly.Green field and pleasant environment do not make up for any of this.

We plan to move back when possible.

Anyway,stick to your guns and save the trees,good luck :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:29 »
Sad thought, Betula?

Indeed,Telboy - everyone should have sunshine in their garden. And a garden!

But there are times when some of us long for shade from the 'Scorching British Sun'! Hence our large expenditure on the Maple replacement for our tour-ex Bramley. [attachment=1][attachment=2]
I'm biding my wee on all this - but it makes for a useful discussion?

1. Yes, as mentioned, our neighbour is affected. But the person who built the house had no complaint. And the new chap acknowledges that he bought 'as is'. Presumably in the knowledge that he has the Law on his side!

2. Yes - we planted trees because we wanted our nook in the otherwise open country. Adjoining farmland was much higher than ours. An interesting point - 2 other neighbours have for years happily accepted our 12' hedges - in one case with a 'copse' to boot!! [attachment=3][attachment=4]
An old book we have advises that, however small your garden, you should set aside 10 acres for  woodland, They knew their onions in those days!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:36:00 by tim »

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:53 »
Gosh.....ten acres for woodland, I was born in the wrong century. ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 10:30:30 »
Me and you both :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 11:17:47 »
If you'd been born in the 'right' century you'd probably have been dirt poor, living in half a room (if you were lucky) with your entire family, and working 12 hour days at the mill for a wage you couldn't even eat on. Meanwhile, you'd have been enriching the greedy few with the ten acres to spare. So much of it was based on chattel slavery on one side of the Atlantic and wage slavery on the other.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 17:46:04 »
The good old days then!!!! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal