Author Topic: Pale leaves.  (Read 2335 times)

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Pale leaves.
« on: July 29, 2004, 20:49:26 »
My peppers and chillies have really pale leaves.  I've been giving them the Tomorite when I feed the toms.  What are they short of?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Pale leaves.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 21:00:04 »
Funny you should mention that - no pic at this time of night, but my chillies have the same problem. Only difference is that they are in a grow bag which seems to need less water than the 1/2 bags on end. Otherwise, same regime. = Tim

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 21:23:52 »
Could it be a potassium decifiency?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 21:39:25 »
If it is, & you're feeding them high potash, then there's a contributory cause? And mostly, I thought of an N deficiency?? No clue. = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 21:55:55 »
Generally pale leaves are indicative of a Nitrogen deficency. Potassium mostly shows as a marginal chlorosis on the leaves, rather than the whole leaf.
 Low N can be the result of a few things. Tomorite does supply some N but it may not be enough in your situation. Nitrogen is washed out of the soil very readily (it is highly water soluble) so if you have been overwatering, or you have had a lot of rain, it may not be available to the plant. Additionally, if it has been too cool for the plant then metabolism of N may have been disrupted. This will also show up as pale leaves.

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 22:14:57 »
I can see that could be it they aren't too warm and have been v.damp.  They are getting moved to a warmer/drier spot.  What will give them nitrogen?  I've got Phostrogen.  Thanks

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 01:42:42 »
  Someone else will have to advise you about a high N fertiliser in the U.K.. Dried blood is an organic source if you are prepared to use it (it will act more slowly than a synthetic chemical source).
  If you can I would move the plants to somewhere warmer and drier and wait for 10 days to see if they turn darker. Tomorite is formulated to provide enough N during cropping so, if you have been using it, there may be enough in the soil already. Adding N, if there is sufficent already, may create other problems, due to excess salinity. Are they flowering and setting?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 07:56:15 »
Can but try - I'm giving mine a foliar feed of 'Baby Bio' -
N10.6:P4.4:K1.7. = Tim
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 07:56:58 by tim »

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 08:23:26 »
Mine have fruit and flowers.  The chillies are a couple of inches and the largest of the peppers is about 3". They are going to the conservatory which can be toasty! On second thoughts, I think I'll put half in my little flappy plastic greenhouse just to 'hedge my bets'.  Thanks for the help.

AKG_Emma

• Not So New ...
    • The Alternative Kitchen Garden
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 11:28:08 »
I have read that peppers enjoy a foliar feed with epsom salts - I believe it's because of the magnesium.

I couldn't find Epsom salts in my local chemist, so I bought generic magnesium sulphate and they didn't seem to mind. The chemist thought I was mad though  :o
My blog: http://coopette.com/blog
The Alternative Kitchen Garden podcast: http://coopette.com/akg

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 13:33:04 »
They shouldn't need it. = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 23:40:19 »
Have you checked the pH of your pepper soil Tim? The pale upper leaves could be iron deficency.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 06:15:11 »
Just did - the meter says 7.5-8. But so it does on our tap water, which is normally 6.5!!
Remember we're in bags. = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal