Author Topic: Tomato Progress report  (Read 14181 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Tomato Progress report
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 18:45:03 »
just for you, Tim!![attachment=1] ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 08:58:27 »
Mean!!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 22:36:24 »
I'm leaving them in the greenhouse at the 'lottie' to see what happens, haven't watered since mid september, still fruiting!! I only open the greenhouse once per week, just for picking of fruit. who knows, may still pick for xmas!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 00:13:07 »
I am still getting some ripe fruit, I also have not watered for ages which is something I haven't tried before, but seems to work well! The stems are going brown now on some plants, but they are keeping going.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 18:37:12 »
No water?  'twould be the same if picked & indoors??

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 22:04:21 »
I grow in soil, and the green house footings are shallow on the sides (deep on corners) it's dry in the greenhouse, but the foraging roots are probably getting some water from outside ?
You couldn't make it up!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 23:28:01 »
Mine are in growbags with large pots on top, so they can't get water from anywhere......just picked another quarter carrier bags full, looks like I will get a few more but not many...not up until Christmas!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2008, 09:40:31 »
just picked these.[attachment=1]
gardeners delight and marmande. we're allegedly due some snow today/tomorrow, so that might put an end to them, but who knows........ ;)
You couldn't make it up!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 15:23:32 »
March 1st,heated propagator,watered with seaweed solution. pricked out on 7th march!! pottted on again april 9th. (I keep a plant diary). Rgds Tony.
note: 1st 3 inside door treated with trichoderma as an experiment, seems impressive so far!
Just getting in on this thread from last Spring  ::)
Tony, do you use a diluted seaweed solution or full strength?  I've never used it but just ordered some as can't seem to find it in stores.

Also, why restrict the watering of tomatoes- is that just a winter thing? and why, please?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 22:42:11 »
Also, why restrict the watering of tomatoes- is that just a winter thing? and why, please?

It is an end of season thing, to get the last fruits to ripen without shrivelling. Plus it saves on space, having to find somewhere indoors to put them all whilst they are ripening! It's the first year I've done this, and it has kept the plants going for much longer than usual, I'm not sure why but it seems to work!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2008, 14:56:23 »

It is an end of season thing, to get the last fruits to ripen without shrivelling. Plus it saves on space, having to find somewhere indoors to put them all whilst they are ripening! It's the first year I've done this, and it has kept the plants going for much longer than usual, I'm not sure why but it seems to work!

Well! I didn't know that! :-[ Assuming my plants don't get blighted next season, I'll certainly be doing this. Thanks 8)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2008, 15:12:27 »
I picked up this stategy from an organic veg box scheme supplier in norfolk. At the first sign of blight in his polytunnel, he removes any infected material and stops watering, this dries the atmosphere in the g/house/tunnel and the plants seem to do o.k. for a few more months!!
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2008, 15:14:55 »
Grannie Annie, I use seaweed at recommended dilution rates. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2008, 23:53:24 »
OH as just about fininshed the last of the black cherry that have been ripening in the house.... they wouldn't have lasted that long except I've been brred from eating them, and lots of other stuff for about two months now!
 :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal