Author Topic: Peas and bird damage  (Read 5257 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Peas and bird damage
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:01:31 »
My first year of (trying) to grow peas.

First attempt failed - as soon as they sprouted their baby leaves the birds ate them all.  So second attempt I've covered them with bird netting and they are doing well.

But they are now getting to the stage that they want some support.  I've got some sticks ready to go in but to put the sticks in will mean having to take down the bird netting.  And putting the bird netting back up, with the sticks in place, will be a right pain.

So the question is, how big do my peas need to be before the birds will stop eating the leaves?

thanks.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Peas and bird damage
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:05:28 »
We keep ours netted.  And yes, it is a pain, especially to disentangle the nets from the pea sticks and the plants for weeding. 

But worth it.  :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 13:56:47 »
I've never had to net my peas but you could, after you've put the sticks in (and the sticks, if they are big enough can deter the birds as well), just drape the netting over the whole lot and just peg it down so as it doesn't blow away

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 14:37:55 »
Thanks for the info.  I'll have a go at some tent like structures and see how I get on.   Luckily this lot are dwarf peas so shouldn't be a major construction

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 16:13:37 »
agree, i only cover my peas with chicken wire untill they get established, i then put pea sticks in and remove the mesh, seems no problems .
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 16:59:40 »
Don`t you all have pigeons ????  ???

Great big fat killer wood pigeons ?? They sit in the trees waiting for you to go home. Then they waddle down and eat everything  >:( Everything

They will sit on the top of your pea fence or whatever you have and poke through the nets to get at your peas.

I net practically everything and what the pigeons can`t reach the pheasants will try for. And pheasants can jump from standing to reach beans on a fence.

Seriously you have to protect your crops against whatever pests you have in your area.

And the slugs around here are in mensa but thats another rant.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 17:32:33 »
lol we dont have pigeons, as they dont like the shotgun,
suppose we are fortunate that we have few shooters ,
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 00:14:49 »
I've taken the nets off my peas, but I don't think the birds will find them amongst the weeds. ;D

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:40:02 »
The pea germination rate plus mice and birds of many hues means not many peas. Netting the 8 plants that are left isn't a decent option...
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 22:29:24 »
Its a comfort to hear from others. This year was going to be my year for peas. I have sown lots of 'Hatif d'addonay' dwarf peas every 2 weeks - only seem to be getting one small pod per plant. Also grown some 'Uncle Fred's Peas' which are meant to be tall but the birds got round my string deterrent and I am not sure the stumps will recover. Pea Robinson - only got 8 seeds from the Heritage company - only 6 seem to have germinated ....

Mange tout looking good though.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 22:53:03 »
Pigeons have eaten all my peas had about 3 different sorts  all germanated planted them out on field ,all been eaten.gready things >:( >:(
Pauline

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal