Author Topic: What soli to fill the greenhouse with  (Read 1552 times)

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
What soli to fill the greenhouse with
« on: June 01, 2008, 00:41:04 »
I'm nearly finished my greenhouse a pollytunnel type thing, but what is the best thing  to fill the base with I have 24" to make up to ground levil as I had to dig it deep to get under the bracken. What is the best thing to back fill it with? should I  use  conpost or fill it with soil?
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

betula

• Hectare
Re: What soli to fill the greenhouse with
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 00:50:19 »
I would use soil,use compost mixed with the soil when you are near to ground level. :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: What soli to fill the greenhouse with
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 00:58:48 »
As you have quit a deep fill,  try a good layer of well rotted manure dug in as this will help enrich the soil and will generate heat. Then i would add a layer of compost with grit to help with moisture retention. Then top soil dug in with the compost.

I have a simular issue but only got 20inches to fill to make my greenhouse level and i will be adding loads of well rotten manure down 2 sides and the back ( I intend to add a path down the middle ) and then adding a bag of sand and some shreaded paper to the soil i am brining in (which fingers crossed will be delivered this week so can move my chillis in).

Oh, and if you have not put the glass in yet then get some wooden posts (kind you us for steaking trees) and bash these into the corders as these will be good for wiring to support your fruiting plants.

You might also want to consider thick card down the sides of the area to smother the bracken creaping back in and of course this will hold mosisture... Good Luck
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:15:37 by cambourne7 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal