Author Topic: Blackcurrants  (Read 1112 times)

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
Blackcurrants
« on: May 29, 2008, 15:19:21 »
When is a good time to take cuttings that will grow? Only there is an empty plot near us, hasn't been let for at least 2 years, with some decent bushes on it. Don't want to take the bushes as they are attractive and may help with re-letting.
Nothing ventured etc!!!!!

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
Re: Blackcurrants
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 16:10:18 »
I have found black currants root very readily at almost any time of the year! I can't see any harm in trying now.
HTH
KK

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 16:19:11 »
Thanks. How much of the branch do I cut off and am I looking for a leaf joint near the bottom for the root to sprout from?

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 17:09:42 »
Hi all,  :D
              Ideally you want to wait until the new growth has hardened a bit, ie, wait for the green stems to turn brown. Take a cutting about 10 inches long, remove the leaves & push it into the ground so that 4 to 6 buds are below ground, blackcurrants send shoots up from below ground, so several should come up if you do this. Place 6 to 8 of these cuttings in a row about 6 inches apart, they should grow well & next Autumn they should be ready to transplant to their final growing spot.
                                               Adrian.

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 13:24:48 »
 :)Thanks Adrian. I'm going to have a go. Look for some photos in the future.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 13:36:57 »

Hardwood cuttings are a great way to create more blackcurrant bushes, because it's easy, quick and has a very high chance of success. Additionally, it does not require any protection or warmth.

The time to propagate the bushes is when the foliage has stopped growing and is beginning to turn brown or falling off. A good time is mid-October although a couple of weeks later is almost as good.

Take cuttings from healthy bushes only - ignore bushes with any signs of disease.
Select a healthy looking stem of ripened (brown not green wood) and cut a 25cm (10in) length.

The cut should be made just below a bud. Pull off all the leaves from the stem being careful not to remove the stem.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal