Author Topic: Growing Tomatos  (Read 1373 times)

Producer

• Quarter Acre
Growing Tomatos
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:27:42 »
Can all types of tomatoes simply be grown inside i.e. on a window sill?  Also, Ive heard people say they need to be in grow bags which are full of nutrients.  Can tomatoes still grow well in a pot?

One last thing(!) when starting off seeds inside, do you need to buy one of those propogator lids or can you get away without one?

Thanks!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Growing Tomatos
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:50:19 »
Hello. So long as the pots big enough i've used black buckets fom morrisons before. You'd be ok now with the seed but i think your a bit late. You need a propogator when its still cold outside.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:56:02 »
Depends on how big your windowsills are.  You don't NEED growbags.  They're just convenient.

You don't need a propogator.  I grow everything from seed and I don't have one.  Sow seeds in trays, put in a plastic bag and seal and put on a windowsill that gets sun.  If they need a warmer temperature, put them above a radiator. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 13:33:13 »
They'll grow on classroom windowsills.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 19:16:40 »
just cover with cling wrap for the first few days
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 21:42:01 »
People start off tomato seeds in a pot on a window ledge in January-March.

Then they plant them up, individually into little pots. next they either transplant into big pots or growbags, to grow on in a green house  or (dependant on the variety) out doors in June for cropping.

If you have not grown tomatoes before. They are not the easiest of things to grow for a first effort. You can not harvest tomatoes on a windowsill. The plants get to about four feet tall.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 00:42:12 »
You could try the Tumbling Tom variety,
Not sure if it would cause the pot to tumble though when it got bigger. ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:53:31 »
We have a heritage variety called Whippersnapper which is great for pots and baskets... on windowsills... but there are others. Green Sausage is great and novel... was commercially available a few years ago... if anybody still has some seed I'd love it....  ;D

Producer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 20:37:10 »
You say I will need a propogator if its cold outside, but why if Im growing inside where its warm?

I cant see a reason for one of them lids, but Ill use the trays.  Fair enough about the size of the plants. If I had time Id start them off inside and then plant them on my allotment, but seeing as Ive missed the correct time I thought I might be able to just grow them fully inside.

Also if you cover a tray in a plastic bag does it need to be see through i.e. to get the sun?

Thanks for the help!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 21:03:52 »
Mr Director
Put some multipurpose compost in a tray but leave a space of about an inch from the top of you compost to the top of the tray, firm it down level and place your seeds on top and cover with no more the a quarter inch of compost and moisten.
Place it in a clear polythene bag or cover it with cling film, glass or plastic. this creates condensation so keeps the compost moist to help germinate the seed.
Cover it with paper to exclude the light as the seeds germinate better in the dark and put the tray some where warm 65 deg or place it in the airing cupboard. Check the tray morning and night after a couple of days. When the plants poke their heads through remove the cover and place where they will get maximum light.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 21:06:08 »
Get some mini propogators for a week or two they seemed to work for me

Also the tumbling toms are a good idea,they are the first of mine to show signs of tomotoes,infact all over them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal