Author Topic: Plum tree never fruits  (Read 2698 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Plum tree never fruits
« on: May 27, 2008, 18:46:00 »
I planted a victoria plum tree three summers ago and havent had plums yet. Is this likely to be a dud tree? Its growing at some rate and looks healthy enough and doesn't appear to have leaf curl. The guy two plots along has millions of plums on his tree although its been there for a long time.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Plum tree never fruits
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 21:00:22 »
How big is it? Depending on the rootstock, it may not have reached fruiting size.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:12:07 »
Had the same problem, was told to buy another plum tree, the reason I was given was that they do not like to be alone and will only flower if they have a mate. I thought this was a daft idea but my immediate neighbour bought one and mine did the works! I refuse to comment further.

I also have a greengage which took seven years to produce fruit. I did yell at it in the December 'If you don't bear fruit this year I am chopping you down'. We got two greengages that summer. So, I gave it one more chance and it was full of fruit the next year.

My conclusion is that plum/damson/greengage trees take longer than apple pear and cherry to produce fruit. It is worth waiting for though, the fruit I have had from the supermarket tastes like cardboard by comparison.

Now the problem is using all the fruit with in jams. Crumbles, pies and plain stewed collecting in the freezer. It takes some eating. I have even made plum sauce done the Chinese way.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:15:33 »
Victorias are self-fertile, so even without a partner, it should fruit, though probably not so heavily. If you're in a town, it's a fairly safe bet there will be another plum within range.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:17:15 »
I planted a victoria plum tree three summers ago and havent had plums yet. Is this likely to be a dud tree? Its growing at some rate and looks healthy enough and doesn't appear to have leaf curl. The guy two plots along has millions of plums on his tree although its been there for a long time.
Maybe you could take a tiny brush and ask a plum grower friend for some pollen and paint a few flowers to see next Spring. Or didn't yours get flowers at all?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 17:23:51 »
you don't say whether it has blossomed yet, if it hasn't it will probably next year as fruit can take its time but if it is blossoming but fruit not forming then that is something else - be patient if it looks healthy in all other ways

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 22:42:59 »
no blossom at all and a massive fruiting victoria plum just two allotments away.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 23:14:59 »
There is often a problem when growing plums in allotments, with the ground being much too rich in Nitrogen from all the manure, which just causes the plum to grow like mad.
My advice would be to treat them mean and make them keen!
I have covered this point in my web site under the heading of root pruning at http://www.growyourown.info/page137.html
This was a tip that I picked up from Marshalls. My new plum, a remaindered one from Woolies, produced a few plums from year one, but too much sappy growth. After I root pruned it, it has become one of the heaviest fruiting Victoria plums on our  allotments. It is only fed a little bone meal.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal