Author Topic: My firstCucumber 2008  (Read 2510 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
My firstCucumber 2008
« on: May 27, 2008, 20:49:17 »
Last year my cucumbers were rubbish (and several of the family love them) so this year a friend who works in our local nursery purchased just 2 plants for me (female plants)  Yoohoo.. this is my first cucumber pic taken few days ago. Well pleased. plenty more growing

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: My firstCucumber 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 20:50:21 »
looking good, lorna, ours are only just showing flowers  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 21:10:31 »
Ours have only just got their first true leaves!!  :-[

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 21:25:02 »
Got to have something good. My tomato plants are so slow, nothing like the ones that members have put pics on here. Sown from seed in a cold greenhouse, another lesson learnt. :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 22:34:12 »
Call me awkward but I'm more interested in that delightful Acer on the right.  Tell me more about it.   ;D

G x
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 22:46:39 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:06:27 »
My outdoor ones are dead!!

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:19:10 »
sorry I am also intrested in the acer, my husband has got 6 of them and love them, the cucumber looks brilliant aswell, what type is it

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:14 »
Well I must be improving peeps are interested about things I have in my garden. Probably make Georgie blush but a lot of this is down to Georgie's help over the past couple of years ;D
caseylee . The cucumber plants are Aviance, the friend who got them for me is not sure if the seeds are available in shops, she said they maybe commercial types. The nursery where she works grow thousands each year. Going to try one soon to see what taste is like.

Georgie. As you know my daughter and son-in-la have a window cleaning business and on their rounds Vickie looks at plants she spots. She recently got me a few fuchsias and she spotted the Acer. According to the ticket it is Palmatum  Atropurpureum it cost £2. have no idea if that is a reasonable price. Never had an Acer before but might ask her is there are any more for sale.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:41:39 »
£2.00  :o :o :o  Lorna thats cheap as chips round here! ;D
Well done on the cucumber ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 08:47:08 »
He He DP Have just made a phone call to tell Vickie if there are any more get me a couple. I do like it, just wondering if I should keep it in greenhouse for a bit longer just ion case of very late frost?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 12:40:24 »
Lorna, great Cuc!  Is that in a coldframe or green house?  I'm toying with trying to build a very large coldframe from windows and was eyeing your partial picture of windows.  Also, after seeing your avatar pix, are your lupins in flower yet (I know, I know. wrong forum.)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 13:14:35 »
Duh! And I thought the variety was called 'Yahoo'  ;D ;D ;D Honest! :-[
And is that a Black Bukkit it's growing in btw?

Smashing cuc and I'm jealous :'(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 16:19:40 »
Grannie Annie It is a greenhouse, my late husband utilised a market stall we had to make a frame, The boards you can see behind the plant are supports for wide plywood shelves which I put in when seed sowing/cuttings etc. Will take some pics to show how I secure the canes for cus and tomato plants.
Re Lupins I just noticed this morning they look as if they will "open" in next few days.

Lish. Yes Black Bukkits  ;D  for cucumbers and toms with pop bottle down side for watering.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 20:24:02 »
Well I must be improving peeps are interested about things I have in my garden. Probably make Georgie blush but a lot of this is down to Georgie's help over the past couple of years ;D

Georgie. As you know my daughter and son-in-la have a window cleaning business and on their rounds Vickie looks at plants she spots. She recently got me a few fuchsias and she spotted the Acer. According to the ticket it is Palmatum  Atropurpureum it cost £2. have no idea if that is a reasonable price. Never had an Acer before but might ask her is there are any more for sale.

Well Lorna, I hardly think I deserve any credit when all I have done is send you a few packets of surplus seeds.  The skill is down to you.   :)

That Acer is an absolute bargain.  They do like a spot sheltered from winds though so you'll have to be careful where you put it.  However they are happy in pots so you could always take it into your greenhouse over winter.

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal