Author Topic: Oinions and garlic  (Read 1987 times)

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
Oinions and garlic
« on: May 09, 2008, 23:41:39 »
I have been talking to other plot holders  and they have been telling me about a problem with their garlic, it seems they are suffering from oinion fly due to last years wet summer we had over here. I have checked my garlic and dont seem to have the  grub that is killing theirs but I have some  tiny  thread like  white worms crawling around the bulbs. There are  good roots on the plants.  What are they as  my books dont mention them. Are they a threat and if so how do I get rid of them and is their an organic way of doing this? P_eople who have grown oinions from seed seem to have the same problem but  those who used sets dont seem to be suffering the same problem.

Any help welcome.

Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Oinions and garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:41:03 »
I'm not sure about your worms; onion fly makes the plant grow twisted and stunted. I had it very badly on my spring-planted onions last year, but on nothing else. So far this year I have one elephant garlic plant that looks as though it's infested.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 15:17:59 »
It may be Onion Root Magot. do a google for images and treatment as they burrow into the onion
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 23:27:43 »
I had a look on google but cant identify the thread like worms at all. Dids see some  ref to using  crushed garlic as an incetcide, any one had any sucess with anything like this?
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:37:35 »
The only advice I could find for garlic pests was in a very old gardening book which suggests DDT. Not much help there.

But there is a web site which gives a very trendy recipe for making pesticides from garlic. Copy and paste below to go there.

http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/programs/health-environment/pesticides/non-commercial-pest-spray.pdf

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 00:37:15 »
printed off the  recipies and will give them a try and report back. anything is worth a go.

Hello world
Aiden

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 00:11:38 »
Looked at oinion magot and  they are nothing like it, still pondering and hopeing  to get a  cure
Hello world
Aiden

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal