Author Topic: Tips on buy a Greenhouse???  (Read 3779 times)

ACE430

• Not So New ...
Tips on buy a Greenhouse???
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:14:04 »
Hi am still a bit new to all of this just planted my first seeds out last week and have caught the bug so to speak.

I was wondering if anyone could advise what to buy or indeed not to buy a green house?

Any help and assistace would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ACE

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Tips on buy a Greenhouse???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:18:19 »
well that realy depends on what you want to grow in there and how much , how much you got to spend would this be a whim or the long term

ACE430

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 13:39:05 »
As a total novice I'm not sure what to grow for starters, I love tomato's, cucumber and generally eat a lot of veg at the moment, however am not a big fan of supermarket veg and we dont have a local farmers market were I could purchase directly from source.

I have only recently joined the form a bit of a novice at this also.  I would look at the greenhouse as a long term investment and would hope that it might help prolong growing.  I have a reasonable budget to spend about £500.

Hope this helps with the help thanks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 13:47:53 »
can't help with the price, ace430 but in our greenhouse at home, 8x6, we have 2 beds, toms, peppers, chillies, cucumber and a squash(small one we didn't have room in the plot for)
we will also have lettuce and radish in the border so's when we can't get to the plot, we can still have salad.
in the poly at the plot, 30x10, we have toms, cucumber, peppers, early spuds, sweet potatoes, sweet corn as well as salad stuff
hope this helps  :)

ACE430

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 19:18:50 »
Sounds fantastic, think I have found one in the net for about £350 8*6 polycarbon,  can you tell me how you anchor it I have some left over 2*2 slabs enough to cover the bottom.  Do you think growing in beds would be better than putting down a slab base?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:52:29 »
You may be lucky and find some one with a greenhouse they do not want who is prepared to actually give it away to some one prepared to collect it. You will break some glass taking it down and putting it back up and will need to buy new fixings but you will get a decent greenhouse to play in cheaply.

If local supermarkets and news agents allow you to, put up a few post cards.

WANTED
aluminium greenhouse
will dismantle and collect

And see what happens. You may get some one who wants payment, if it is too much, then take a look anyway, and make an offer.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:03:15 »
We have slabs down the middle ,they act as a radiator  at night giving out the heat collected during the day. We have 8x6 and could fill it twice over.I prefer glass,but then I am an old romantic.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:09:12 »
Whenever we get strong winds the people with poly carb greenhouses always lose several panels. Personally I prefer glass. We have never lost a pane because of the wind.
With regards borders in the greenhouse the soil can get stale and diseased however my friends with borders in their greenhouses always produce better plants and crops than I do using growbags and pots.
 My greenhouse had an aluminium base which needed anchouring with spikes that had to be set in concrete. I would also add that you should buy the biggest you can afford as space soon runs out!
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21:52 »
We picked up an 8x10 with most of the glass and slabs for £100... it had been blown over and so some bits were bent and there were no instructions... but it has stood up to the strong winds recently...
 ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:27:33 »
Polycarb,never again.Glass everytime. :)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:41:41 »
i agree using a glass Greenhouse on an allotment would be the best option but if im not mistaken you would be using one in your garden, would be protected by the winds from fencing and the likes and again if your buying new the you would like the best you can affored as allready mentioned .

what make have you found that way we can have a look   

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:49 »
Hi Ace 430

I would avoid polycarbonate too if at all possible.

Something I read some time ago about light levels in the spring/autumn and winter was the problem!

I would go for as large a one as you have the space for as they just never are large enough!!

Good luck with your search though!   I would think a budget of £500 would get you a nice one!

Old Bird

;D

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 21:05:02 »
In my experience you need to get the standard quality aluminium framed greenhouse with glass at the largest  size you can accomodate / afford. (don't skimp on ventilation either).
There is no need for the hippo/ goliath / robinsons £2000 quid jobbies unless you want a status symbol rather than a growing space out of the cold.
You will need to think about a base rather more substantial than a few tent pegs, slabs and lintels screwed or bolted onto are perfectly acceptable for sizes up to 8x8ish depending on location, after that a concrete base / dwarf wall may well be more suitable.
It is difficult to decide and a pain in the arse to buy the right gear and fix it properly first time but the alternative is to never know what you will find after some bad weather and I for one can do without that.

Gary.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 16:47:14 »
try putting a 'Wanted' notice in local shops, I did this and got three 8x6 greenhouses last year! some folk move into a house with a greenhouse and just see it as a hazard if they got small kids! offer to dismantle and collect, you never know!! ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

ACE430

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 18:52:08 »
Thanks for all the advice I considered all the very well made points, I had a bit of an impulse by on the internet. 

I bought an 8*6 polycarb, this will fit the space I have and it will be well procted by existing fencing and 2 garden sheds.

Just one other question how easy are they to assemble.

I say one mor equestion I doubt that to be really true as a total novice.

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal