Author Topic: cucumber plants problems!  (Read 18728 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: cucumber plants problems!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:13 »
Thanks, Davy- and I've got plenty of nettles!

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 22:50:28 »
update. been to lotti today checked plants 1 of the 4 the biggest is doing fine the other 3 are no worse still got limp leaves, window closed so is door, put polythene up to separate from other plants as davyw1 suggested to create humid conditions etc. will have to see how the go on keeping fingers crossed they pick up. problem is going on hol next Tuesday for a week so will have to ask one the other lads to keep a check on them and not over water them.

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 20:39:04 »
been to lotti today checked plants still 3 out of the four plants are the same and as my last post yesterday re segregated them with polythene as davyw1 suggested. checked roots on the 2 smallest and they are disappearing but main stem and top leaves seem healthy ? so why the bottom leaves (the biggest)are wilted seems strange. as the other 2 the roots are strong growing! biggest plant fine smallest the same problem as others. can anybody give more help. thanks.

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 19:38:42 »
update! been to lotti again today to check cuc's 1 of the smallest dying took it out of pot removed compost  virtually all roots gone must have rotted or some thing!  others still same as yesterday . do you think rest will survive  or just the biggest and fittest ?   ??? appreciate all help.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 21:00:19 »
they're not too wet are they, compo?
roots sometimes rot off in wet compost, only thing I can think  :)

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 23:09:37 »
thanks manicscousers for reply. the compost is dampish not over-wet as I've refrained from watering this week since problem started since weather changed/windy, also put up polythene separator as davyw1 suggested and misted inside of it to make it humid. main thing is cannot put them outside to harden off before  planting! can you suggest what to do next? or will i have plant them in pot's /grow bags in green house if they survive. I've bought some outdoor type seed just in case and may have sow it but no spare space really.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 17:10:11 »
if there are no roots, can't see them surviving, really sounds like a damp thing to me  :-\
you can always put your outside ones in a container, or a growbag, cut across the middle and stood up, I think Tim showed this last year, and grow them up a trellis or something  :)

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 17:47:29 »
Seem,s you have Sudden wilt,caused by pythium fungus the entire plant will wilt and die,also causes the roots to
rot.One of the main causes is poor draining soil,you need to improve the drainage.
I came,isaw,I ran

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 18:39:59 »
On what you say it can only be both or one of what has been suggested, Stem rot or bad drainage.
The thing is with Cucumbers they must be grown on top of a mound so the roots a drawn down to the moisture and the stem stays dry.
I hope some of them pull thro
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 21:25:11 »
Davyw1............what is chempac please?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 22:32:38 »
Davyw1............what is chempac please?

Chempak it a balanced feed for different plants very cost affective and good.

http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/fertilisers-chempak-soluble-feeds-c-5_147_198
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Mr Plot

• Not So New ...
  • Sexy Carrot
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 16:15:11 »
Same has happened to me 3 from 8 plants just wilted and died!
First time I have had this problem, but it must be the temperature. We had a frosts last week and may be I over watered them recently.
Hope the others stay ok.

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 17:36:55 »
Hi jfrosty. sounds like you got same problem as me, there's no real  change in the 3 plants but the 2 smallest haven't got any worse so that's something i suppose. I agree its a water problem too damp due to weather change keeping fingers crossed they are still alive when i get back from hol in a weeks time! told chap who is going to check/water g/house plants just to spray inside of polythene separator to keep them humid and only water a bit if compost drys out.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 17:53:13 »
Sure sounds like stem rot to me-cus are horribly susceptible to it.  Try to keep the soil just where the stem is dry-plunge something into the soil to water into.

I remember it happening to me years ago and posting that the leaves looked like roosting bats :)

compo49

• Half Acre
Re: cucumber plants problems! update.
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 19:27:48 »
Went on holiday 3rd June came back on Tuesday 10th checked cucs at allotment only 1 left the biggest. The other 2 had died so checked the roots they had disappeared altogether. The 1 left has got 3 flowers on and is developing baby cucs, should i put it in the ground now with some rotted manure, its about a foot high at the moment Will it grow taller its telegraph i think and develop more flowers and cucs? What should i feed it with ?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 12:26:37 »
Some of my plants died too.  I lost 2 of 3 Carmen.  My one surviving Carmen totally dried out but I left it on the off-chance.  The leaves have remained weak but it has still produced fruit. 4 at present.  The link below shows the plant as of yesterday with fruit and also very dried faded leaves:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=42962.msg430363;topicseen#new
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 21:22:56 »
I have just 1 cucumber plant left which has 4 mini cuces on it , can i feed it with tomato food ? also want to plant it out but no space ! I've heard you plant on a compost heap but don't have 1 yet, can up plant on a manure heap instead?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 07:08:40 »
What about just planting it in a black bucket or similar container.  Ensure it has holes in the bottom for drainage.  Put a bamboo cane in for it to grow up.  Will work no problem.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal