Author Topic: ticks  (Read 8536 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: ticks
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 23:00:45 »
Ticks will fill with blood and drop off. It's what they need to do to multiply. If you've located the tick...why cover it in grease? Don't squash them on the dog, don't go running for the grease, forget squirty stuff just use a plastic hook to take it out and kill it.
......and don't let your dog sleep with you.....unless you check your groin area every morning...!

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 23:44:59 »
In Canada we simply covered the tick in glycerin,  after a little while it couldn't breathe and moved off the spot to find air, we grabbed it and disposed of it, no need to pull and it at all. XX Jeannine

This can still make the tick vomit and spread Lymes disease........not recommended.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 12:18:25 »
It is worth pointing out that dogs can die, also of infection carried by the tick!  My friend lost two working german pointers in the past 10 years.

If, when you are removing the ghastly things - you rotate them - clockwise whilst pulling they come out head and all and apparently much more easily!

We, up her around Exmoor, have them as regular uninvited guests.  I did not like using the new tick remover spot on as I do not like putting chemicals into the dog and if they get wet - it invalidates the treatement.  I do use frontline for the flea protection which gives short term protection against ticks and use the gadgets for the rest of the time.

I used to have a woodburner and if you put the ticks into the fire to destroy them they go off with a very satisfying pop!

Old Bird
 ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 13:35:38 »
My border collie doesn't pick-up too many from our local woods, but using a tick remover works well. There's also a product recommended by our vet which we use.. I've none left so can't give the name until I restock, but it's a small sachet with a liquid which we spread on her back so she can't lick it. The ticks we do romove have no blood in them so I'm guessing the dog's blood is carrying something that ticks don't like. We've used it for  years with no side effects.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 17:00:05 »
Ken, it's probably Frontline, which is available for dogs as well as cats. I believe it's systemic, so hey drop off anyway. Yuck. :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal