Author Topic: ticks  (Read 8626 times)

ACE

• Hectare
ticks
« on: May 26, 2008, 11:16:55 »
Is there a tablet/spray/collar on the market that will get rid of one,also can it stop future attacks.

Huge dog, hairy as hell, has the run of woodland, fields and large gardens where there are all sorts of wildlife.. So there is no way of minimising the attacks.

No need to give me the lighted f*g method, he is just too big to hold down, without him thinking it is a big game. Plus it is a silly excuse to start smoking again.

betula

• Hectare
Re: ticks
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:26:50 »
Have you tried tweezers.?Try to get as much out as possible.

We give our dogs advocate but not sure if this covers Ticks. :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:53:31 »
Frontline is the one we use, and it seems to work. Our dog is a tick magnet. We bought a tick remover, which gets their heads out as well (they can get left in if you just tug the body off) It worked a treat, but always pulled some fur out, so Gypsy only has to see a bit of plastic in the similar colour green and she's off like a shot!!

Yeuk, they are horrible things.!!

cj :)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:33:24 »
Over the years I have become an expert on removing 'ticks', you need as Caroline says a tick remover, which you can buy from any good pet shop and a small tin of vaseline.  You put the vaseline on the tick, this stops the tick from be able to breath then  just remove it with the little tool.

You really have to get the head out as they can so easily become infected if left in and then that means a trip to the vet, so best to do it properly in the first place.

Good luck, they really are horrible things.

Sinbad

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 13:06:21 »
He is so strong I would never be able to hold him still to use pullers/tweezers etc. So I just been to Pets at Home. Which shows how much I like my faithful hound. What an awful shop with an awful reputation. A got a Bob Martin tube of stuff that will kill and stop them for 4 weeks.

I usually use a little local pet supplies place but being a bank holiday they are closed. Good to know they treat their staff nice as well.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 13:31:07 »
cotton bud dipped in lighter fuel

some of the brand names of tick killer can actually kill your dog as well if overdone  :o

depends how you feel about your dog

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 14:48:03 »

some of the brand names of tick killer can actually kill your dog as well if overdone  :o

Now that's just talking silly, Just follow the instructions. no problems.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 14:53:09 »
First time my dog got a tick, I was stroking her and wondered what was stuck in her fur. It felt like a raisin and was warm. When I saw what it was, it made me feel quite ill. I spent a lot of time washing my hands :P ;D

Apparently, they carry nasty diseases, but  my dog has had loads (I dread the summer crop!!) and has had no ill effects so far.

cj :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 14:54:33 »

Now that's just talking silly, Just follow the instructions. no problems.

delete the "overdone then" they can kill, period, check out the side effects if you care to

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 15:24:04 »
I always read and use the instructions. 'Side effects' well they are a different matter, mainly put on medicines and treatments to cover their own arses.

Once I started reading the side effects on sleeping tablets.   'may cause drowseness'  Nuff said.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 15:26:55 »
Me too Caroline, when I found the first one, they still make me shudder at the thought of them..........yuk

Ticks are bad if they get on people you can get Lyme's disease from them which I knew someone that it happened to and they died.  So one should take them seriously.  I always wear trouser in the New Forest area as that place is rife with them.

Sinbad

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 15:28:39 »
LOL Ace, I think side effects are a bit more than "nuff said" ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 17:32:59 »
Like Caroline I use Frontline. Elsa is 8, touch wood have never had any trouble with ticks or fleas (yet)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 19:06:51 »
I use frontline on the cats, it needs to be applied every five weeks to keep the effect going throughout the season.  I got a tick last year - perhaps there should be frontline for humans as well.  We got a tick remover thingy from Pets at Home as well, which works better than tweezers.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 21:12:09 »
Heard on the wireless recently bout a man who got a tick in his eyeball... :o

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 22:03:48 »
Yeeeeouch  :o :o :o :o :o :o  Makes your skin crawl
The Tuscan Beaneater

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 22:45:15 »
Yuk..............

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 23:34:01 »
 :D Our Dog Basil ended up with a few unpleasant and unwanted 'tick' guests last year which I managed to remove with the green tick remover, but the last one was very near his eye and it was rather a tricky procedure although I have to say Basil was on his best behaviour bless him.... but enough was enough and I really hate removing the little blighters so asked my vet is there was anything I could apply as a prevention measure as one does with fleas. The vet recommended using advantix which covers ticks!! and the usual fleas. My vet also said that has the advantix is a little more expensive I only need to use it during the tick season and then revert back to the normal flea advantage in the winter. Its great when you have a vet that helps all he can to keep costs down.  ;D ;D ;D

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 12:10:31 »
Frontline & advantix here, don`t use lighter fluid/vaseline/burn with ciggy or grabbing and twisting as all these will encourage is the tick vomiting whilst it`s head is inside the animals skin and this could lead to complications.

Excellent advice here> http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/information/tick_removal.htm
Especially the bottom of the page !

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 00:55:10 »
In Canada we simply covered the tick in glycerin,  after a little while it couldn't breathe and moved off the spot to find air, we grabbed it and disposed of it, no need to pull and it at all. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal