Author Topic: paper ash usage?  (Read 14440 times)

brittsyank

• Not So New ...
paper ash usage?
« on: May 25, 2008, 21:31:01 »
Hi
This is my first post.
I have an incinerator full of paper ash(the shredder packed up as there was 16 years of bills to shred - my husbands domain), can I use the ash on the fruit beds, should I add it to the compost heap or is it unusable.

Also it it too late to root sweet potato slips, I have a polytunnel so there's no problem with heat.

Thanks
Sharon

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: paper ash usage?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 21:46:31 »
You can use paper ash directly on your beds but it will slightly change the ph of the soil as it has a liming effect. If you add it to the compost heap then the composting process will neutralise the ph but make sure you get it really well mixed to avoid it clumping together.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 14:43:45 »
hiya, sharon, nice to meet you, I think it's a bit late to root your own slips, you may be able to buy them on line if you're quick  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 21:50:54 »
pot ash is best added to compost but will be fine spread over the soil.

Rather than burn the paper, causing smoke, you can tear it up, put it into a large container with hot water, swill it around every so often and it will  eventually turn to mush. Dig a small hole and bury the mush.

I'd just snip off the bit with the name, address and account number on and chop that bit into small bits with scissors. Put it all out in the recycled paper bag.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal