Author Topic: CHEAPSKATE  (Read 5583 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
CHEAPSKATE
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:45:54 »
Yup, I am one. Proud of it too.

Most of us grow our own just because we like to do it and the vultures are out there trying to sell us every gadget and chemical they can think of to get us to part with money.

I have plenty of things I do to 'save' but would love to know from others, what cheapskate things they know work too.

This is also an environmentally friendly quest, re-using packaging is top of the list.

Lots of replies please.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Re: CHEAPSKATE
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:25:42 »
I use supermarket mushroom boxes as seed trays - make some holes in the bottom and away you go.  I also use them as "havesting baskets", just right for 1 trip to the greenhouse.  I use marg tubs to make plant lables. Inside out compost bags cut to make hanging basket liners.  Compost bags to grow spuds in.  Lawn clippings as mulch.  I can't think of any more things that I do but it's early in the morning!

Helen - also proud to be a cheepskate.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:35:14 »
Butter tubs make good seed trays vending machine cups for individual pots

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:50:49 »
semantics, semantics ::)....some may call it 'cheapskate' - others think of it as a Top Tip ;D....lots of good ideas on that forum, PH :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:15:56 »
I was going to say about the mushroom things but you beat me to it!
 ;D

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:29:35 »
hi all
I use egg boxes for seed trays then in the recyle  bin
so 3 usees in 1 product and no waste.i also use lids
of a4 cardbroad to make tube for celery.old coffee
jars for next years bean ,pea seeds.
                                   :D :D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:33:27 »
plant pots out of newspaper, held together with those elastic bands that for some reason postmen are allowed to chuck on the pavement without being classed as littering

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 10:08:50 »
I have found that the 1 litre ice cream containers (Morrison's Classic, ALDI has them too) which are black, make good pots for cuttings. About 5" square, you can get 8 or 9 cuttings in one. When the cuttings have rooted you can then transplant singly into the containers to grow on.

Naturally that is my favourite ice cream.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Spanner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 10:53:30 »
I use 500ml yogurt pots for putting individual seedlings in to harden off. Saves needing labels as I write directly on the pot. Also good as cane tops at the plot to stop the netting sliding down

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 11:28:51 »
Where would we be without toilet roll tubes as root trainers?
Pallets made into compost bins.
Plastic trays from the supermarket make good saucers for the greenhouse.
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 12:05:47 »
I use all the clear plastic fruit tubs over and over again, perfect for sowing seeds and collecting berries, containers for almost anything in the greenhouse

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 13:09:51 »
All of the above plus half lemonade bottles for mini cloches and slug barriers.

Collecting blown down fences for compost bins and planters (after storms of course)

Ive used an old wicker lampshade as a planter for Bizzie Lizzies.

Old black tights or stockings as soil containers for 'Mind your own business' around the pond, the roots and stems will grow happily covering the stockings.

Empty 4 pint milk cartons with one side cut off makes an ideal container for toilet roll pots.

A left over sheet of corrugated plastic, one slatted outdoor table and bunjie straps = a good cloche for pots if you run out of cold frame or greenhouse space in spring
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 14:03:27 »
.....those old tights and stockings? Make good ties for toms, etc. as they stretch to accommodate the thickening stem.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 09:43:02 »
Save my own seed (where I can).

There is currently a 3x3foot area on my allotment crammed full of autumn sown rocket that went to flower a few months ago. The bees are happily pollinating it and a quick rough and ready calculation shows I should collect about £50 (at retail prices) worth of seed later in the season.

Many of you will have probably seen the minute amount of seed that many seed companies put in their rocket packets and they charge (I was going to say a packet but stopped myself) about £1.50 for this sprinkling. As I like to eat rocket at every opportunity I save myself quite a bit.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:22:27 »
Tights-stockings. for storing onions.

Wash out the tights and cut at the gusset

pop in an onion, push down to the toe end, tie a knot. keep knotting each onion and then they will hang from a hook in the shed/garage roof for over winter. Cut off one by one the knot will keep the others in place.

Emergency cloche:-

Plastic bag over the plant, pegged or held down with a stone. or
Empty two litre or larger soft drink container cut in half.

Free from most supermarkets:-

plastic boxes shaped to hold yogurts in place will also hold your little pots in place

Plastic boxes which have contained baguette sandwiches; use a double thickness and punch in holes for seed trays.

Big black flower buckets, drill holes in the bottom for larger flower pots.

Spray cleaner containers, (thoroughly washed out of course) can be filled with soapy water for spraying aphids.
Can also be filled with a weed killing solution but always make sure that you rinse it out and throw it out after using to avoid accidents.

left over plastic pipes or plastic curtain track which are bendy can be arched  pushed into the soil and used as a bridge to 'lift' plastic sheeting or fleece over plants.

Labels can be made with those self adhesive address labels and wooden skewers or cocktail sticks, the labels are folded in half, sticky to sticky to form a flag. Use a thick soft leaded pencil to write with because the sun bleaches out biro ink and water makes felt tip ink run.

polystyrene packaging, cut into chunks makes good drainage for the bottom of large pots. Lighter than gravel too.

Old paperback book pages will roll from top to bottom form root trainers, fix with a staple at each end. (There is a limit to how many toilet roll tubes you can acquire).

Dandelion clocks (that suddenly appear)

Set alight with a cigarette lighter, lit match or gas cooker lighter to stop them flying off and spreading.

Picking fruit from tall trees.

Ask your council for a free litter picker, explain to them, that when you go on walks you always take a plastic bag and like to pick up other peoples dropped litter to protect wild life but are afraid of hypodermic needles. (you may well get free black rubbish bags from them too) These pickers double up well as fruit pickers. Even treble up for reaching things on high shelves!

Cuttings.

Always have at least one small plastic bag in your pocket.

Admire some one's plant (when they are there, no stealing) and ask permission to take a cutting. Never had a refusal yet.

I am trying to find a use for all those electrical leads/cables we always seem to get with every kettle, radio, tv, computer gadget and other things. Hate to throw them away. Any ideas. Just know there is a joker out there ready for this one!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 12:59:49 »
Strip insulation and make copper rings to keep snails off. I've just made some, everyone at the lottie was taking the p**s but they seem to work.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 14:59:58 »
Has anyone mentioned plastic magazine wrappers as bags for propagating?

I collect hops from the local brewery for free and use as a mulch. They come in raelly useful malt sacks- great for rubbish, rubble, and i've freecycled a lot, plus thya have plastic liners which I detach, rinse out and use as bin liners in my big kitchen bin, so they've had at least 3 uses before being thrown away.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 19:38:42 »
I collect the 'waste' from the seaweed concentrate factory! a bit like coffee grounds after the percolator type thingy! ;) It's great in the compost heap, and as a mulch for hungry crops!
You couldn't make it up!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 20:32:02 »
I'm near a cricket bat factory, and offcuts from cricket bats are surprisingly useful. Wood for BBQ, weights for weed suppressing fabric, supports for raised beds, heavy mulch, building compost heaps, all sorts of things.

Lately they have been woodchipping them, so free path covering.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 20:47:02 »
It looks like we all need to check what factories and manufacturers we have in our area.

Think what waste they may have which we can make use of and go along and get it from them before they send it to be dumped. A phone call does not cost much, they may even deliver if they are passing, cheaper for them than pay to have stuff tipped or skipped.

Everyone must have a scaffolding firm nearby, the old planks make good beds.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal