Author Topic: Strawberry Plants  (Read 1933 times)

jillye

• Not So New ...
    • Jill's Allotment - Plot 70 Quarry Road, Preston Parish, Eaglescliffe
Strawberry Plants
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:37:53 »
Hi, im just looking for a bit of advice - I currently have some strawberry plants (they are now 2 years old) in a planter at home and some others that I took as runners (which are now 1 years old) in another tub.

I have just taken over an allotment and would like to plant out the strawberry plants at the allotment.

Is it ok to move and re-plant the strawberry plants now - one of them is just coming into flower.  If I cant move them now what is the best time to move them?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Strawberry Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:41:14 »
Not ideal to move anything when in flower but I think if you do not disturb the roots you will probally get away with it. :)

Suzie Q

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:00:04 »
I agree - if you can avoid it then not in flower, however, in this case they will do sooooo much better if in good furtile soil and enough room to spread so I would replant ASAP.

I only planted my strawberries a couple of weekends ago as I had overwintered them in small pots (moving them from one allotment site to another!) and they have already put on quite a spurt of growth.... go for it

MiniTC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 13:10:19 »
I found some strawberries in our lottie patch a couple of weeks ago where I thought there was a path - so assumed the green sprouting things were weeds (I'm new at this lol - and I've got loads of weeds to clear).  It wasnt until I saw the white flowers and googled a bit I realised they were strawberries - dug them up (a bit of a sorry state due to poor ground and being trampled on) and put them into a prepared bed. 

They are now growing nice and strong, so moving them hasnt seemed to harm them. 

I guess it's just the chance you take  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 08:49:57 »
If you move them now you'll probably affect the crop, but they'll soon recover.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:50:46 »
I always find that strawberries recover very well if re-sited at any stage.

Very little seems to bother them but they do perform better in decent soil where the roots have more room.

I would go with the move, keep them well watered though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal