Author Topic: dirty cauliflowers  (Read 2150 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
dirty cauliflowers
« on: July 28, 2004, 17:31:35 »
Why oh why are my cauliflowers dirty?  :o  And I don't mean rude before you all start, I mean, one of my white caulis is more yellow - kinda grotty looking.  It is because I have kept them covered with netting to keep the pigeons off?  Do caulis need covering once the curds start to form, or will the pigeons still attack and eat them.  I have my next winter lot germinating now so I would like to know what I did wrong. Thanks cauli growers everywhere.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:dirty cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 17:57:41 »
Truly infuriating, isn't it? But tastes the same?

If they aren't the tightly-wrapped-leafed sort, they do need a leaf over to keep the light out. I think, also,  that a poor childhood can cause discolouration.
But I'm not the expert. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 18:03:12 »
Oh!  And I chucked it on the compost heap!!!!!  So, snap a couple of leaves and bend them over the developing curds?  Purple ones are gorgeous and clear, it is just he white ones that look dirty.  And the pigeons??

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 18:05:39 »
Hi EJ,
         I bring all my leaves up and then tie
them at the top to cover the curd..
Don't break the leaves and cover the curd .
Also cut them as soon as you think they are nearly big enough as they discolour with age.
It seems to work for me Cheers ..Jim :)

ps. They tells me the yellow ones taste ok though as long as they are not blown.

Cheers .. Jim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 18:20:09 »
Right, back there on Friday - kids permitting, so will do just that.  I am cross that I binned the other one.  Ava would have liked cauli cheese for tea.  :-\

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 18:27:50 »
Don't worry too much if you break the leaves! = Tim

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 22:49:43 »
First time with cauli for me this year.  Did as Tim suggested and covered them up, which was successful up to a point.  I think the trick may be to keep an eye on them and whip them out as soon as they're more than a mouthful.  I left some 'for tomorrow' and regretted - within a very short time (couple of days) they'd gone from being beautiful to discoloured scabby articles, which the slugs seemed to have been grazing.

Or maybe they had an unhappy childhood right enough. I meant well, but I think I made a few mistakes.  Well, every mistake possible actually.  ;D  But we've ended up with a freezer (and tummies) full of cauli.
There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 00:28:21 »
The problem I have had with breaking leaves over them is that the curd may not get completely covered and I ended up with white curds with a yellow rim. Tying the leaves (it's quicker if you use a rubber band to bunch the leaves together) worked much better.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 06:51:50 »
Do agree, John - & the leaf will wilt etc. Only a makeshift method. Never heard the other way before.

Lavender - are you sure that it wasn't caterpillar damage - the most likely? Evidenced by their droppings? And, if given a decent start in life, you really shouldn't have to 'baby-snatch'. = Tim

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 23:39:28 »
Tim it could well have been caterpillers, though I didn't see their 'gifts' (just assumed slugs as they eat everything else!)  And you're right about eating the babies - I will do better next year.  I have vowed to read the instructions BEFORE applying my 'logic'.  ;)
There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 10:50:09 »
Forgot - earwigs? They're a pain. = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal