Author Topic: with the prices of tobacco.....  (Read 2455 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
with the prices of tobacco.....
« on: July 28, 2004, 16:14:44 »
....some people at the allotment complex started growing their own. I wonder if it will work for them.
Not our allotment b.t.w.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:with the prices of tobacco.....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 17:40:10 »
Cor.  Is it legal?  Guess it is.  Good idea I guess.  Haven't bought a packet of cigs for nearly 6 years and now they are over a fiver a pack!  Blimey!! :o

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 17:57:17 »
Wow

Let us know how it works out!! It could be quite interesting to grow them just for fun to see how they turn out. :) could you make cigars?

I gave up well over a year ago :) best thing I ever did health wise

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 17:59:57 »
Just been telling mum, and apparently when I was a nipper, that chap over the road from us used to grow his own and dry it in his garage.  She told me I used to ask him why he hung cabbages up so high! teeheehee.  Anyhow, he rolled his own cigars for a while, but moved on to smoking a pipe.  

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 18:34:57 »
Why would it not be legal?
This is the first year on the allotment for the guy that's growing the tobacco. He has done a bit of research, went to a tobacco museum (didn't know that existed) and bought the seeds through them. He covered the soil with black sheets and grows the plants through holes in it because he was told the soil would otherwise be too cold. I think he doesn't plan on sigars but rather on shredding it for roll your own sigarettes.
I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 18:41:50 »
Quite a handsome looking plant and got to wondering what the flowers look like. Did a google and found this. Not bad looking flowers, may look pretty in the flower border?

http://members.iglou.com/perkins/newkpf/2002_07/home1198.htm
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 00:21:44 »
  All the tobacco I have seen in flower has been really ugly as the lower leaves tend to go yellow really quickly. It may need extra N just prior to flowering to keep it looking good. Pretty flowers as you say, J.
  Directly south of me, in Massachussetts, is the 'Pioneer Valley' (the valley of the Connecticut River) which is said to have the best soil in the entire country. Tobacco used to be widely grown there because it is such a high value crop and, so I have been told, produced the highest quality tobacco. It was so good, apparently, that it was exported to Cuba to be used as the wrappers for their tobacco. Cuban cigars, I gather, are seen as some of the best available.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:09:30 »
Anybody else fancy a go? http://www.tobaccoseed.co.uk/  :) :)

It's legal to grow it - as long as you don't sell it, I believe?

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 11:50:54 »
Theres an old abandoned shed surrounded by trees at out allotment, I went to investigate it and lo and behold there was a good stash of home grown baccy drying

gonna give it a go and buy a pipe !! :o
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 22:29:55 »
Hi Ina,
What a bonnie crop of tobacco! It takes me back to when my granda used to grow it in a little plot beside the greenhouse. He used to have it hanging up to dry in his shed. He cured it with treacle and the smell from his pipe was wonderful!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal