Author Topic: Monty Don to step down!  (Read 13578 times)

nippie

• Acre
Re: Monty Don to step down!
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 10:49:13 »
What a shock !! 52 is very young and in someone who is outside and fairly fit !!
Wish im well and thoughts are with his family  :)

I am sure it was Monty who used to be a wine expert on This Morning with Richard and Judy. Maybe he imbibed a little too much!
Seriously though I wish him well. I quite liked him. :)
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 10:50:49 »
What a shock !! 52 is very young and in someone who is outside and fairly fit !!
Wish im well and thoughts are with his family  :)

My pop was only 54 when he had a stroke - he's outside type, had 2 allotments and a big garden.. he only gave up one allotment (which is now mine) and still has the garden, and he beats me hands down in a digging race.

I wonder who will take over - Maybe someone like G.Ramsey... that would be amusing to watch.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Lee Marshall

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 11:17:00 »
are we sure this gardening thing is as healthy as it's cracked up to be? geoff Hamilton pops his clog, and now Monty has a stroke.
Titchmarsh is safe, cus he was only pretending anyway
Have to say, all due respect to the departed an' all that, but I wasn't a bit surprised about GH.  He used to wheeze and gasp so much when demonstrating a bit of digging, I never believed he did any regularly. 

GH was the only GW presenter who actually lived on the site and he did a lot of the work you saw.  He cut his teeth as a landscape gardener and was very hands on,  probably the most practical guy ever to present the programme.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 12:43:40 »
Strokes are a terrible thing.My dear old Dad had a small stroke and carried on to have more ,robbing him of his speech and eventually his life.So horrible.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 13:15:57 »
Fingers crossed they don't replace him with Joe Swift!!! I believe Monty suffers from SAD. Get well soon Mr Don.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 13:38:50 »
Poor Joe Swift is getting more stisk in the Mail today ,it showed a pic of his front garden! what can I say ,not a good a d vert for a garden designer
can you imagine it in the swift house "not now dear I,v been doing it all day"
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 13:49:33 »
strange how all the main presenters of GW have been men. Maybe there's some law about it, like the Catholic Church, or Dr Who

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 14:17:35 »

A bit unfair- he worked his way up through the parks dept and RHS training from aged 16!
strange how all the main presenters of GW have been men. Maybe there's some law about it, like the Catholic Church, or Dr Who

Carol Klein seems to be fronting it in Monty's absence.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 14:20:28 »
I think Carol would do the job well if she calms down a bit.Joe is good I think he would do well if given a chance. :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 14:42:58 »
Yep..Carol is ok..but It would be great to get Bob Flowerdew back in TV... ;D..that would get some posh folks going mad... ;D
He is even more "organic" and anti-spending than Monty...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 15:27:31 »
Matthew Wilson for me.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 15:35:00 »
Meg sorry the job has gone of nursing Monty, i am taking some grapes round & feeding him them very slowly and of course mopping his brow. ;D ;D.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 15:41:23 »
I wish Monty a full recovery.  However I have stopped watching Gardening World since Monty became the main presenter, he is not a team player and does not anchor the programme well  AT was good at drawing everyone in, I thought it unfortunate that Chris Beardsmore left and always felt it was due to a clash of personality with Monty. I like Carol Clyne but feel she is a little too light weight to front the programme.  Bob Flowerdue gets my vote

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 16:20:04 »
Hmm, and me! :)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 16:46:53 »
Anybody but Carol!  >:(

Bob Flowerdew would be great. Again.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 17:21:21 »

A bit unfair- he worked his way up through the parks dept and RHS training from aged 16!

Carol Klein seems to be fronting it in Monty's absence.

yes I was being unfair. If Alan T stuck to gardening it'd be fine, but the BBC seem to tout him as an expert on everything from Geography to Classical Music
Just seemed odd that GW was a male preserve when so many of the great gardeners were and are women, and Carol Klein isn't one of them tho she isn't terrible 

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 18:14:14 »
Wow,hold your horses,Did you not watch carol at last years Chelsea when she did a live walk about for about half an hour.This lady knows her stuff and I have every respect for her knowledge ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 18:18:25 »
to be fair to everyone, i'm watching GW more than I used to, so they must be doing something right. On the other hand, is it wise to leave someone in charge of such a cherished institution, when it's so obvious she could go completely bonkers at any moment ?

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 18:26:09 »
Bob Flowerdew would be great I wish he was on TV more. I like Carol too and a woman would be a welcome change. Isn't it filmed at Montys garden? I wonder if they will relocate if that is the case.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 18:31:23 »
No, Berrryfields isn't Monty's.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal