Author Topic: Help!! Do Blue Tits rear a second batch?  (Read 9377 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Help!! Do Blue Tits rear a second batch?
« on: May 22, 2008, 16:29:37 »
We have a nest box on the back of our house with nesting Blue Tits. Unfortunately the 2 feet above the window the burglar jimmied  open and split the frame. We've been waiting two months for the replacements but now it can't be replaced until the Blue Tits fledge, so i hope it's obvious when they fledge? Do they return to the box to sleep?
Once they're gone will the parents start another brood in the box? 

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Re: Help!! Do Blue Tits rear a second batch?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 16:44:36 »
I think blue tits can rear a second brood if it's a good year, but I have no idea whether they have a rest inbetween!  I think once they leave the nest they probably don't return (the young that is) but you'll probably see them in the vicinity, of course they might not all fledge on the same day.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 17:05:31 »
I have blue tits and great tits nesting in my boxes every year and from my experience they will not lay another batch of eggs in the same box. It will be obvious when they have left as you won't hear them anymore and the parents will stop feeding. Once the young ones have left they do not return. Usually there's one who is reluctant to leave but they will go after a while.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 20:23:02 »
Blue Tits only rear one family, thats why they usually lay a lot of eggs.  No wonder they only have one, if you watch the parents feeding their young thousands of caterpillars over the time spent in the nest.  They are a mess once their young have fledged.   ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:23:48 »
Yes they're so busy they're having to queue to drop off the food, I saw one look in then go and wait on the fence for the other to come out. Fortunately they're not having to go far or look hard for food.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:36:59 »
Yes I would not worry, I have had a few blue tit families nest in my boxes over the past few years and the only time that I notice that they revisit the boxes is during particularly cold spells in the winter, so you should be fine to get the job done once the young brood have fledged.

My blue tits (David and Mary  ;D) are still sitting on the eggs, and I am waiting excitedly for the little ones arrival  ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:22:52 »
Unfortunately they didn't use my box this year, but previous years they did and they caught their caterpillar grubs in 2 trees.  One close to the nest and the other in the corner of the garden.  So, it was 2 flights back n forward, back n forward.  I used to get tired watching them. 

This year I have the swallows nesting inside my front door porch.  I shall get one big mess but looking forward to it all.   She is sitting now, Mrs Swallow.

;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 20:19:17 »
Thanks Honeybee you've reminded me that Mr and Mrs Bluetit don't have names and as residents in my garden like Bob and Mrs Bob (Bob the BOSS blackbird) they should get names.

There is a lot of noise coming from the nest box....very exciting.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 22:22:54 »
Its the least they deserve Kea   ;)

Mine have conversations too, all of which are frequently relayed to Mr Honeybee via myself  :D  ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:41:26 »
My husbands named them......Troilus and Cressida. Only problem is we don't know which is which.....much easier with the blackbirds.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 00:15:17 »
we have a nestbox which is frequented by blue tits every year. Usually 1 lot per year but this year two - we have had one brood back in march/early april, and a second brood just hatched this past week. Don't know if its the same pair with a second brood or a different pair...

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 17:50:56 »
Well mine have fledged....didn't see it happen but it must have been Tuesday in the pouring rain. No sign of a single Blue tit in the garden now.....but there's a horrible smell near the box so there may be a dead one inside. I notice on Springwatch the Tits (can't remember which ones) just sat on the dead one as the mother couldn't get it out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal