Author Topic: When to move peppers  (Read 1947 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
When to move peppers
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:48:51 »
i have got various varieties of sweet and chilli pepers on my windowsill. They are getting very crowded and most are starting to flower. I'm just wondering whether it will be more of a shock for them to be moved to my cold greenhouse now or afetr the flowers have set.It's not very warm here in Yorkshireat the moment!

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: When to move peppers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 13:02:50 »
My are already in the cold greenhouse and they are fine, I’m in Lancashire so similar temperatures to you. As they are flowering you will need the insects to help pollinate them.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 14:15:26 »
I was just going to search for a thread like this... I'm in sunny Ipswich and my plants are miles behind yours  :( Most of my seedlings have the second set of leaves, I planted them all in seed trays and was thinking about potting them up. I'm nowhere near flowers yet. Hope I catch up.

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 15:45:22 »
I'm in sunny Ipswich and my plants are miles behind yours 

I'm in not so sunny Wales, & I think mine have stopped growing!  ::)  I sowed seeds back in February, & they are still only between 1-3" tall after potting on.  Moved to an unheated greenhouse a couple of weeks ago and definitely no sign of any new growth never mind flowers.  Hope I catch up too!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 16:01:12 »
hadn't thought about the insects. :-[ Will get them out tomorrow.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 19:37:30 »
My Sweet Peppers, sown in Feb in house, put into cool greenhouse at end of April, are now about 30 cm high and in bud. And I am in Glasgow!
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 19:55:54 »
1. Doggie - they've outlived their fertiliser? Give them a gentle boost?

2. Peppers are self-pollinating?

3. Our last lot went out today - under glass - at first true leaf stage. Sown 5 April.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 21:15:06 »
i was just wandering the same thing, and evicted a few into the pop up greenhouse as a test... glad it wasnt a bad thing to do :) will chuck the rest out soon, mine have also got to a fair size big dark green leaves but no sign of flowers, and are growing failry slowly, but i think from last yr peppers are a little slow compared 2 say tomatoes? will have to feed them to i suspect, tim what fertilizer would you use? would blood and bone meal be ok? or ive seen that seaweed spray stuff? havent a clue as u can tell, the pepper plants my mum gave me last yr got eaten by slugs so they didnt get past the stage theyre at now :( im determined 2 get peppers this yr! only the chillis i babysat inside got to fruiting, and that was only just thanx to the cats!
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 23:15:02 »
am i right in thinking that you can't grow different types of peppers (sweet & chilli) in the same vicinity because of cross pollination?  I have several types started off but only one GH. i was thinking of putting a couple on a windowsill and a couple outside aswell.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 04:18:09 »
Chillies are more likely to cope outside than sweet peppers.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:48:38 »
Loulou - I would use a weak liquid or water soluble general fertiliser- ie, not high Potash.

Something like Baby Bio?

Suzie Q

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:08 »
peppers are definitely self-pollinating as on the real seeds website the instructions for keeping the strain pure so the seed can be saved is to grow in a sort of net box.  Therefore no need for insects but unless your saving seeds then I always think the insects save a lot of worry over pollinating!

Also - I have a real pigeon problem with my peas and grew the first earlies under scaffolding netting and I now have a load of pods without any insect.
Sue

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 13:38:45 »
am i right in thinking that you can't grow different types of peppers (sweet & chilli) in the same vicinity because of cross pollination?  I have several types started off but only one GH. i was thinking of putting a couple on a windowsill and a couple outside aswell.

They do cross pollinate but you can grow them next to each other and it won't affect this year's crop. The drawback is that any seed you save is unlikely to grow  true.

You can cover plants with e.g. fleece before they flower and hand pollinate with a brush.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 20:22:02 »
thankyou tim  ;D ive got some baby bio on the windowsill, im a demon with it and squirt it in the pot plants over the summer as i water them, so now i know ill be watering the peppers too :) didnt know the chillis were hardier than the peppers? oh well all 3 varieties are outside in the pop up jobby now, just have 2 hope the slugs arent peckish as slug pellets is something in dont have! can i plant the chillies out on the plot i wander?? ive got de cayenne and corni di torro rossi i think it is, the other is worldbeater which i guess is a normal salad pepper n not a chilli?? bit clueless still, lol, was going on the pictures on the packet some kind soul gave me....
also thanx didnt know about the cross pollination, but i doubt ill remember to save seed so thats probably going to be ok :) thanx again!
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal