Author Topic: Plant ident test...any tips?  (Read 2854 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Plant ident test...any tips?
« on: May 27, 2008, 13:41:19 »
Hi All

I have an interview in a couple of weeks for a placement at a garden.  Part of the interview is an informal plant identification test...this worries me a little as my plant identification isn't that comprehensive..and there are so many plants out there, I don't know where to start in terms of trying to increase my knowledge.

So has anyone got any tips I could use...anyone who has done these before, or set them.....wondering what kind of plants I should be thinking of learning.

Many thanks

SP x

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Plant ident test...any tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 13:52:34 »
Ant chance of having a look around the garden before then?Guess they'll use their own plants. Do you have to know the latin names??
Can I ask where it is (being a nosey local!)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 14:04:19 »
It's actually for the HBGBS, so I had to put down 3 choices, my fist being Wentworth Castle (that was the closest option to York) Then Chatsworth, and final choice of Reasheath college.  I'm planning on visiting Wentworth at the weekend as I figured it would be good to have a look around, but not sure whether I can fit in Chatsworth the weekend after.

So although it is down to 3 gardens, no idea which one they are interviewing me for, I'm assuming my first choice.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 14:44:41 »
I would say it would be mean to give you many unusual ones to identify. I wouldconcentrate on impressing them in the rest of the interview and just pretend it's nerves if you don't know them all. Good luck, anyway!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 14:55:11 »
Thanks  :) 

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 16:10:24 »
I have never done this before, but I would reakon it is worth swotting up on a few weeds also.  I can't imagine they would want to know varieties, only the type, like a rose, sedum, nettle, etc.  Oooo eck, good luck!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:16:16 »
Good luck Sweetpea

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:03:50 »
Went to Wentworth Castle when it was  a teacher training college many moons ago. Had masses of rhododendrons and a lovely azalea  garden. Loved the folly and the haha wall as a student. Spring was brilliant with the sent of the rhododendrons and azaleas.

Good luck with interview , would be a glorious place to work

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:10:36 »
Hi Sweetpea - one tip, if you're not sure what the plant is, tell them how you're working towards an identification ( like showing your working on a test paper)  ie, it has thin shiny leaves so it comes from a hot area & needs to conserve water, or it smels of xx so might be related to the xxx family.  Even if you're not right, you are showing off what you do know.

Good luck, relax & smile, you'll do fine.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:13:51 »
Oh no the dreaded ident.I hate these at college.Sometimes my friends in class tease me and say we have a test this afternoon,just to watch me start hyperventilating LOL.

My guess is they will put a few weeds in there.It is a bit like asking how long a piece of string,could be anything.Good Luck. :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 21:35:55 »
How did it go sweet-pea?

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:46:40 »
Hi B

Thanks for asking, was going to post but hadn't quite got around to it!

The plant ident was OK, they basically had a table with various plants on, most of which I recognised, and I had to pick 3 and identify them and say a bit about them.  I was OK on the ID but a bit ropey on the info side as I've been concentrating more on trying to remember the plant names so far rather than exact info on them.

Anyway, I must have done OK because I've been offered a one year placement at Chatsworth :-)  Think it's still sinking in and I keep thinking that something is going to go wrong. So excited, though a bit daunted by  the prospect of moving as I've lived in York for 11 years and in my current lodgings for 6 years. Will give me a good opportunity to have a good clearout though.

Will have to temporarily give up the allotment  :-( although I will be popping back everyother weekend to see BF so will pop down I epect and I have a friend who wants to share so I recon he'll be happy enough to look after it if I tell him he can make use of my half next year.

SP x

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:46:59 »
Well done Sweet-pea.  I hope you enjoy your new job.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 20:22:44 »
Oh sweet-pea a year at chatsworth,wow that is wonderful.Well done to you. ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 20:57:24 »
Congratulations Sweet Pea

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal