Author Topic: Seed collecting  (Read 1238 times)

STEVEB

• Acre
Seed collecting
« on: May 19, 2008, 17:45:31 »
A friend does not buy a single seed apart from spuds.How do you collect the wet type seeds tomato/cucumber?
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Seed collecting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 17:56:03 »
You need to "ferment" them which means put in water for 2-3 days to let the pulp be dissolved... then dry on kitchen towel...
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 19:25:11 »
I haven't tried cucs, but if you squeeze the juice and seeds from half a dozen toms into a jar, leave it till there's a layer of mould on top, them rinse until there's nothing left but clean, sinking seeds (duff seeds float), you'll end up with more clean seeds than you can ever use.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 19:34:48 »
That is the only proper way to get clean tomatoseeds,but dont do it inside the smell is ........ :o :o :o :o :o :o

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 00:46:46 »
Download the free seed saving instruction leaflet from realseeds it covers most veg seeds.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 17:12:00 »
After reading about it on another forum I saved seed from the "on the vine " type tomatoes from Morrisons. I just put some wet ones on tissue paper and let them dry out.  The largest tomato plant (about 2ft tall) in my unheated greenhouse is the one I grew from this seed and it has lots of flowers on it - looks promising. But, someone said that I should not expect tomatoes like the original. Not sure why.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 17:20:59 »
Most tomatoes found in supermarkets are from hybrid plants which don't come true from seed. You are more likely to end up with tomatoes that resemble one of the parent plants which were crossed to make the hybrid. Only seed saved from non-hybrid (heirloom) tomatoes will come true.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal