Author Topic: My first time with chickens (rescued), with pictures  (Read 2047 times)

cocopops

• Acre
My first time with chickens (rescued), with pictures
« on: May 27, 2008, 18:11:14 »
Three weeks ago my husband was working on an agricultural building, and there was shall we say young hens bred to lay eggs that were 'surplus to requirements'.  They were due to be killed and he asked me how many I wanted (he did not mention that he would have to bring them that day!!).  I said that we would have ten, he agreed with the farmer that we would have 15 and came home with 17 ???

They lived in our "wood shed" for two days whilst our house renovations ground to a halt even though we had guests coming over.  They now have a secure fenced off area complete with lockable hen house with an external flap for collecting the eggs, electric fence (needs to be moved up a bit as we have discovered) and a hole in the ground that they love to peck / roll in.

We were told to expect to loose a few initially, and I thought one had popped it but she was sunbathing!!  My children love them and my daughter (8 yesterday) has taken responsibility for feeding and stroking.  They follow her everywhere even after she has fed them.  My son (4 1/2) has just got to the stage of wanting to be with them and stroke them.

We are now averaging 12 eggs a day but we are happy to pass the surplus on.  As my husband's passions go this is an easy one (don't get me on VW campers).  They will always be family pets, even after laying stops.

Here are some pictures of our girls:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: My first time with chickens (rescued), with pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 20:10:10 »
Happy hens and a happy family- great! :D

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 20:27:11 »
They look great, well done.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 23:53:31 »
Congrats, they look lovely! I really want chickens, but Ant doesn't boo hoo!!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:17 »
Nice one. They look the same sort that we get. We order them fom the local egg farm he puts them in the batteries and we put them on the lottie. They're ever so friendly i'm sure they've got king charles spaniels in them.

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:02 »
Nice one. They look the same sort that we get. We order them fom the local egg farm he puts them in the batteries and we put them on the lottie. They're ever so friendly i'm sure they've got king charles spaniels in them.

how sad for the girls that go to the battery farm  :'(

we have 5 rescued battery hens, love them to bits!  here's some pics of ours http://club.omlet.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=22866

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:59:32 »
i wanna have some rescue chickens!! mum won't let me :( (you'd think i'd do what i want at 21, right?)
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:23:01 »
Cocopops

What lovely chickens!  You lucky people!

Old Bird

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal