Author Topic: LILY BEETLE managed to get rid  (Read 1342 times)

floraldi

• Half Acre
LILY BEETLE managed to get rid
« on: May 19, 2008, 18:20:13 »
I have a lot of lilies in pots and last year I decided I would not grow them again if they were damaged as much this year by the lily beetle. When I saw the first pair (always in pairs on top of one another..ahem) I killed them and then sprayed all of  them  with a general purpose insect spray I bought from Focus in their sale when they were taken over.  Not seen any since. I thought I was going to have to buy expensive Provado!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: LILY BEETLE managed to get rid
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 21:41:16 »
We've managed to stop the little blighters just by hand picking and squashing, no sprays needed!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 23:07:33 »
Unfortunately they are not always in pairs. I have about 30 pots of lilies and find it best to look at them whenever I walk past them and squash the beetles as I see them. Never used an insecticide yet. As far as I know there is no effective insecticide. The trouble is they can fly so can easily spread from neighbours lilies.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:10:53 »
I always squash any I see when passing. Only the eggs and larva are susceptible to treatment with Provado (same as for vine weevils). I treat my pots with a drench in September/October,

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal