Author Topic: Bind weed  (Read 2805 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: Bind weed
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 09:02:11 »
Hi Robert, Ive had a long think about how I want to deal with weeds & pests on my new plot & I have decided to avoid chemicals & grow organic this year. I will seriously consider moving the raspberries this winter but for now I will be super vigilant & pick bindweed as soon as I see it...I will mulch with grass cutting & see if this helps at all. For my other crops I am going to try to plant them in months when their pests are least active  ;)
Thanks for your suggestions  ;)   

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 10:45:26 »
yes I have lots of binweed on the plot but now I am resigned to the fact that I will have it anyway. So I hoe off teh small seedlings, pull out the bigger ones and try and dig up as much root as possible prior to planting. There does seem to ne less this year and I have noticed that some plants seem to dissuade it - it is rarely in with the spuds or tomatoes, but grows readily with peas and onions and my strawberries where it comes through the holes in the black plastic!! I regularly pull out handfuls of the stuff that I chuck away.
Yes it does grow under black plastic but i have found it is weaker and it turns white so it is easier to spot and pull out.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 12:37:45 »
If using the pole method, put on a rubber glove then an old sock over it. Put the glyphosate mix on the sock and use that to rub the glyph into the bindweed on the pole.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 12:58:33 »
If using the pole method, put on a rubber glove then an old sock over it. Put the glyphosate mix on the sock and use that to rub the glyph into the bindweed on the pole.
This sounds worth trying. Once I tried using a sponge brush but it flicked chemical around too much. Thank you for the idea. Will use a chemical impervious type glove (and goggles).
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 13:29:07 »
lol I think bind weed flowers are pretty, morning glories are a form of it too :) I will be 'allowing' some to grow at the edge of the plot.

Ok, ok,  one at a time please and form an orderly queue if you wish to hit me.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 13:41:28 by Ishard »

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 14:31:46 »
One of my fav. plants is Convolvulus cneorum.

Thats also a member of the bindweed family, and most garden centers will have it in stock about now.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 15:03:19 »
I grow with black plastic too and it does love it under there, but I dig it over when the season's over, so slowly slowly catchee monkee.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 16:57:27 »
I had so much bindweed on my plot I decided to learn to love it, so we now live together, as I could never beat it no matter how much of it I dug out.

The flower is really pretty too ;D

Sinbad

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal