Author Topic: mimosa  (Read 1804 times)

debster

• Hectare
mimosa
« on: May 16, 2008, 20:47:06 »
my nan adored this plant and i would love to have one in her memory, does anyone know if it is suitable for growing in a pot and is it a good time of year to buy one?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: mimosa
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 20:53:22 »
I'd say it would be fine in a container particularly as the plant is tender.  My nursery was full of them back in March/April so not sure if now is the best time to buy.  I'd certainly want to see it in flower.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 20:59:09 »
thank you

chlodonnay2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:31:01 »
i have one a large pot and it's as happy as larry. we've had it for 3 years now and it has flowered every year so far.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 13:41:06 »
I'd say it would be fine in a container particularly as the plant is tender.
G x

Ours and many others are planted outside in our area - perhaps there are different varieties and some are hardier than others?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 13:47:16 by Barnowl »

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 17:26:46 »

Ours and many others are planted outside in our area - perhaps there are different varieties and some are hardier than others?

Hard to say without the botanical name.  The plant I was referring to was Acacia dealbata but there are other plants also known as 'Mimosa'. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 17:54:26 »
Here's a picture taken in March 07  - it's about twice the size now.

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 19:38:35 »
My son planted an acacia delbata a few years ago it is about ten feet tall now.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 20:43:36 »
Another tale from the Hapless Gardener here...

About three years ago I bought an Acacia dealbata. It was about five feet tall (and incredibly cheap). I kept it in a large pot for about a year before planting it out, which is when I noticed an offshoot coming from the base and on closer inspection realised that the shrub had been grafted. The offshoot was similar but had much less delicately fronded leaves - looked a bit tougher than the dealbata and the offshoot was taking off like a rocket!  I decided to cut it out and... cut off the wrong stem. I now have this - ahem! - rather robust acacia variety - it flowered this year and the flowers are much the same as dealbata but I'm wondering if I might be harbouring a 'foundation rocker'.    :o    ;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal