Author Topic: The taste of chard?  (Read 4154 times)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
The taste of chard?
« on: July 27, 2004, 16:26:30 »
Hey everyone  ;D
I got a few little leaves of my bright lights chard last night for my home grown salad and i don't really know what i was expecting it to taste like but my very small tender leaves of chard tasted (after washing!) like earth?  :P
Are they meant to taste earthy? And just how big are the plants meant to grow? Mine are still looking very small?  :-[

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:The taste of chard?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 16:30:30 »
Mine were small for quite a few weeks, then all of a sudden seemed to produce big leaves.  this did attract the black fly though.  Still, you can wash that off. My rainbow chard (red and yellow) tastes earthy as well.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 16:55:19 »
Yes Chard does have an earthy taste,It appears to be an aquired taste,personally I quite like it but my wife is not too fussy so we grow only 4 plants which are adequate.....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 17:20:37 »
I guess taste is a very personal thing but I prefer the yellow stems to the red or standard white-to me they taste a little sweeter.

Stephan

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 17:34:26 »
I have some swiss chard growing and I use the baby leaves (about 2" in length) whole in salads and don't find them to have an earthy taste. I eat them mixed with other salad leaves however I don't think I'd like a whole bowl of chard leaves on their own!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 20:25:22 »
Each to their own. Yes - nice, small & raw: yes - 'earthy' - so how do you describe pak choi? But chard is not mainly grown for salads? Acquired taste? Probably - but once you've got it, you've got it!

When they are mature - like Swiss Chard - see below - they are huge providers of substance. Don't overcook. Use the stems too.

Interesting, Stephan's point. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 22:21:48 »
Tis funny the differences people taste.  I had a bowl of raw chard as my salad for tea tonite - small leaves, stems too, and it was delish, but I have a passion for raw veggies, especially leaves.  I didn't find it earthy, I tend to find it metalic, similar to spinache and raw kale.  

I was wondering if the taste variations could have something to do with growing conditions....for example, if the plant suffers stress due to lack of water, or if it is being grown in acidic or alkaline soil.  Just a thought.

Nice pics Tim, your chards look great and could well be used in a herbacious border as an ornamental!

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 10:08:36 »
I know what you mean - does taste earthy. I like to sweat it down in a bit of butter, swirl in some natural yogurt and add a hefty grating of nutmeg - mmm yummy.

Sarah.

cflossy

• Not So New ...
  • I love my allotment
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 22:37:50 »
I have grown the bright lights chared also, never had it before, we grew it because it looked pretty and wouldn't mind trying it. We had it small in salads, some mixed within our sandwiches and some stir fried. Have tried it small and tender and much much bigger but have come to the conclusion we do not like the taste either raw or cooked. Earthy is a better word than what I would use. Am now using  the leaves to lift the butternut sqaushes off the ground, its the only thing left that its good for.

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 17:03:12 »
Tis best stir fried methinks, with some black pepper and a splash of lemon to balance the flavours.  Raw baby leaves are less earthy.  The stalks are really juicy stir fried too - and pretty...

I loves chard me - have 10 plants, and have it for 1/2 my meals at the mo - I am all full of vitamins and minerals  :D
Peas xx

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 17:08:53 »
You are all great sources of info! and funny too!  ;D Thanks to you all xxx I must admit i am growing it in a shady little place at the mo, under a big useless tree! It does have a degree of sun but not to any great extent! Oh well when i get my alottie i can grow it there, and try harder to like it!  :o
Jemma

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 18:46:01 »
And garlic, of course, MM. = Tim

PS Of course, there's always the other way - in a blender with a white or béchamel sauce, as a thick purée.
Or in a roulade?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 18:51:56 by tim »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal