Author Topic: Copyright/Permissions.  (Read 3163 times)

Julia

• Quarter Acre
Copyright/Permissions.
« on: May 18, 2008, 11:16:27 »
As well as enjoying gardening, I like painting too.  If I, or anyone else, for that matter was to see a picture on this site, that offers inspiration - could we do a painting of it, or would we need permission from the individual poster?  Or once posted into the gallery, it is taken as permission already given?

Julia

• Quarter Acre
Re: Copyright/Permissions.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:41:28 »
I'm replying to myself.  Personally, if I see a pic I like for art, I'll pm the poster for permission to do a sketch/painting from.  Example:

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:22:46 »
Very Nice. ;D

So how would you feel about people now printing that off?

I think if someone PM's you and they're  happy with it that's fine but if they say no then you have to respect that. It's bit different anyway to taking a direct copy of it as if you paint/sketch it, it then becomes your interpretation of it. However a copying someone's work of art to make it exactly the same is called forgery!

Julia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:08:49 »
Very Nice. ;D

So how would you feel about people now printing that off?
 I never thought of that.  I think, watermarking may be a good idea.  Copyright is complicated.  However, I could never be a master forger, or make a living from painting as I'd feel restricted by commissions.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 15:40:39 »
It is possible to 'watermark' photo's too before putting them on the websites. That wouldn't stop you from drawing them though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal