Author Topic: Adopt a garden  (Read 915 times)

heva_leva

Adopt a garden
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:41:50 »
 ???
Hi All
I work for a charity that helps older and disabled people stay in their own homes, we have a handyperson service and do disabled adaptations etc, we also have a Garden Maintenance scheme which is over subscribed.
As not being able to look after their garden is one of the main reasons for people to leave their own homes I am looking in to other ways to solve this problem.
In the area that we cover (Chorley and South Ribble) their is a huge waiting list for allotments, we were thinking that if someone cannot manage their garden they could let someone "adopt it" so they would keep it tidy and in turn be able to use a section of it to grow what they wish, maybe even sharing a small amount of produce with the elderly/disable homeowner.
I realise this is fraught with problems, CRB police checks, compatability etc but I was wondering as a basic concept what you think and of any problems etc.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Adopt a garden
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 17:21:21 »
hiya, heva-leva, welcome to the site, I think it's a brilliant idea, as long as the people get on well and the elderly don't get taken advantage of, why not, everyone wins  ;D
we have a similar situation on our site, we have an elderly person who doesn't want to give his plot up, so, one of the people on the waiting list is doing it with him, for a cut of the crops, it's working well, at the moment, we have to see at harvest time, but the person doesn't want loads of produce so his helper should get a good harvest  ;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 18:28:42 »
There is a scheme like that which has just started on the Isle of Wight they may be able to offer some advice.
http://www.footprint-trust.co.uk/adoptgarden.html

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 19:49:55 »
This is the scheme that runs in my area:

http://www.s140800819.websitehome.co.uk/RAIDAS-SPADE.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal