Produce > Edible Plants

Angelica

(1/2) > >>

Mrs Ava:
I have lots of angelica plants in my garden just begining to poke through the ground all greeny red and squeeky.  What now?  I grew them more for ornamental reasons as I understand they become quite tall and have large leaves and we are trying to go for the jungle look up around the kids play area.  If I wanted to use them for culinary purposes, what bits do I use.  Do I pick of the flowers to prolong the life of the plant.   ???

teresa:
Never got as far as that one but believe you can candy the stalks. Ebay had some and I was tempted looked lovely plant. Sorry not much help, one way to hide the children hee hee. Post a photo of it in full growth.

Doris_Pinks:
EJ,I have grown it, for the same reason, jungle foliage! Mine got huge! Let mine flower as they are fab to look at! (well I thought so!!) It is the stalks you candy, tho I never bothered, when it was time to cut them down you could sure smell it was angelica!  DP

MagpieDi:
Just love angelica as an ornamental plant ...but likewise...never bothered to make use of it as a medicinal or culinary herb. Apparently use the leaves in stewed fruit dishes to reduce tartiness  ::)
...... and of particular interest to DP and EJ !!!  ;) ......add seeds to your GIN !!  ;)  ;D

cleo:
The young leaves can be used for soup or in the stock pot ,but go easy it is powerful and maybe not to everyone`s taste.

Cleo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version