Author Topic: hedge with berries, what about pyracantha (does it need support)?  (Read 3895 times)

masbah

Hi all,
I'm not happy with my hedge at the moment and would like to start over again with a different plant and I thought of pyracantha. But I wonder if I can just have this plant on its own or does it needs support? I mean, do I need to have a fence and the pyracantha over it? If that's the case, could anyone suggest me another plant with berries that stands on its own (without any support) that I could use instead?

I don't mind evergreen or decidous, I'd like to have some berries for the birds.

And is now a good time time to be planting hedges, if not when?

Sorry if I posted this question in the wrong section, I was not sure where to post.
Thanks!
M.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
I don't know about all pyracantha but our is self supporting.

ACE

• Hectare
Holly, yew, rowan, rosa rugosa all have food for the birds and do not need support, neither does pyracantha but it looks better against a wall. If the plants are in pots go ahead and plant. Bare rooted needs to be planted in the autumn.

ipt8

• Hectare
Pyracantha will stand on its own. You can get red, orange and also yellow berried ones. Remember to cut well back when you plant it to make it bush out from low down to avoid it being leggy.

There are several varieties of thorn with different coloured flowers.

Why not add in Rosa Rugosa for the huge hips.

I prefer informal hedges that are not clipped tight all the time to allow flowering and lots of berries. They also get full of wildlife.

davholla

• Hectare
Here are some unusual hedging plants
http://www.cooltemperate.co.uk/hedging.shtml

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Hello

I have planted a rosa rugosa hedge in my front garden big hips in the autumn for the birds and beautiful scented flowers in may onwards you can pick 20 up for around £10 - £15 plant about 18" and they are sturdy and very thorny good derrant, Here's some of mine from last year

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

masbah

Thanks everyone for the advice, website and suggestions, specially of Rosa Rugosa.  Brogusblue, yours are beautiful. Ipt8 I agree with you on informal hedges. So I may go for Rosa Rugosa instead of pyracantha, cheers everyone.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal