Author Topic: old Tap  (Read 1812 times)

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
old Tap
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:26:45 »
http://
Hi i have a new allotment only 3-4weeks of having it, unfortunately the tap that is near to my site is very very old and all the new hose pipe fittings dont fit, most are 3/4"
Does anyone know where you can buy a slightly bigger fitting which is probably in metric?
Thanks

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: old Tap
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 18:05:05 »
Tracy,
            If you have access to the 'Screwfix' catalogue if not look on their website in the plumbing section and you find something called a tap connector which is a 3/4 inch size fitting with a piece of copper pipe, the copper pipe would shove into your hose pipe and a jubilee clip would secure it and the 3/4 inch fitting would screw to your tap, if you contact 'Screwfix' now you would have it by tomorrow morning :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 18:09:49 »
You are so lucky.  A hose pipe on your allotment (I don't believe it??).  We are only allowed watering cans.  My allotment site is the one on TV with Joe Swift.  I think he needs a hose pipe as his allotment needs some water but he has collected water of his shed into a water butt.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 18:15:25 »
You're all lucky if you have taps!  We have old-fashioned cast iron hand pumps so every can of water has to be pumped up from the water table underground - it's exhausting and slow. 

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 21:10:18 »
Tracy,
            If you have access to the 'Screwfix' catalogue if not look on their website in the plumbing section and you find something called a tap connector which is a 3/4 inch size fitting with a piece of copper pipe, the copper pipe would shove into your hose pipe and a jubilee clip would secure it and the 3/4 inch fitting would screw to your tap, if you contact 'Screwfix' now you would have it by tomorrow morning :)

Hi its larger than a 3/4 fitting thats the reason i need one thats bigger :(

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 21:18:07 »
If the tap is old and the hoses are new, I'd think the tap is an imperial size and the hoses metric?

I think I've seen connectors that are made from rubber that you push on to the tap and tighten with a jubilee clip.

Chilipepper

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 21:22:38 »
i dunno might be easier just to change the bloody tap LOL

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:13:22 »
Look at the Screwfix again and if you are going to change the tap you will get the kit you need :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal