Author Topic: Water Butt Irrigation System  (Read 3318 times)

princescruffster

• Quarter Acre
Water Butt Irrigation System
« on: May 09, 2008, 19:21:33 »
Can anyone recommend an irrigation system that rigs up to your water butt or has anyone made their own?

Many thanks

Nicola

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Water Butt Irrigation System
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:52:09 »
Argos  do one for £29 but I have seen one on the internet for £15, what I have done is buy a coil of hose pipe from Poundland £1  today I'm going over to B&Q to buy a couple of bits to complete the job less than a £10 :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:13:46 »
This may not be what you mean, but my allotment slopes away from our dip tank, so I have a handy length of hosepipe to set up a syphon with. I pour water from watering can into the hose until I think it's enough, then plunge the end into the tank with my thumb over it, and weigh it down with a brick (tied on with string).

If all goes well, it pours slowly out of the distant end, and I can water the beds with it.

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:23:07 »
im going to have to rig something up for this summer as im away for 2 weeks, got some hozelock aqua pods that i got cheap from home base (2 x aqua pod 10 plus a main hose one for £25), gona have to get a water butt but might move the one from the garden up and just fit a tap with a hozelock connector so i can just hook it up to the butt

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:42:12 »
Nicola,
         I'm just back from B&Q and bought a kit for £14 and will connect to my water butt, it contains all the bits for a 16mil irrigation system which is the size of a normal hose pipe, you get twenty drip feeders 'T' pieces and elbows it is just a push fit system with the drippers you just make a small hole with a bradawl and into the hosepipe they go, it's easy to put together even you girls can do it :)

princescruffster

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:10:47 »
Many thanks for your replies.  I'm looking to rig up something for when I go on holiday.  I have 3 water butts connected to the greenhouse so I was looking to put them to use.  I'll pop down b&q later and have a look.  Will it water growbags or am I better planting in the ground? Being a girl, I'm not sure about these things :P

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:58:28 »
Nicola,
             no problem I'll help you being a boy  ;), the drip feeder will water wherever you put the hose pipe with the drip feeders in place but you will need to have the water butts slightly higher than your system to creatate downward water pressure :)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 23:31:46 »
Nicola,
             no problem I'll help you being a boy  ;), the drip feeder will water wherever you put the hose pipe with the drip feeders in place but you will need to have the water butts slightly higher than your system to creatate downward water pressure :)

... and a timer or some way to switch it on and off. I set up an irrigation system at home going all around the garden and watering over 20 or so pots and growbags and about 6 sprinklers for the beds. This system has to have a timer to switch it on (they are now very cheap) I am thinking of setting up similar at the allotment by raising the water tank up on a platform to produce enough pressure.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal