Author Topic: What are my chances of growing Kiwi fruit  (Read 1619 times)

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
What are my chances of growing Kiwi fruit
« on: July 26, 2004, 18:51:43 »
Any success or horror stories with these supposedly hardy varieties of Kiwi. I don't have a wall but perhaps it could be trained horizontally along a fence. No mention of how long before one could expect to get fruit.

Actinidia arguta
Hardy Kiwi. A vigorous climbing shrub from Japan, growing to 6m (20 ft) high or more within 10 years. Very good against a wall - leafs out quite early in spring and young plants may require protection against late frosts. Flowers well in the South and West of Britain and bears excellent edible sweet fruits 25 mm (1") across. Likes full sun and a well-drained, moist soil. Dioecious; very hardy, to -25°C or more.

Actinidia kolomikta
Manchurian gooseberry. A vigorous climber, reaching 15m (50 ft) high by climbing through large trees. Leaves are variegated; it needs a well-drained soil and part shade and tolerates quite deep shade. Edible plum-sized fruit; young leaves have also been eaten. Good facade insulation. Dioecious; hardy to at least -25°C. Growth 4m (17 ft) in 10 years.

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:What are my chances of growing Kiwi fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 19:28:49 »
Mine's a self-fertile variety.  Had it for four years and not a glimmer of fruit even though it's in my courtyard which is south-facing and warmer then the rest of my garden.  Nice red furry stems though!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:What are my chances of growing Kiwi fruit
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 23:02:33 »
Mums been growing a couple for years and years and they flower profusely every year, but not a fruit in sight!  I have seen them in fruit though on our hols back in June in southern Brittany.  A kiwi vine clambering through an old apple tree covered in baby kiwi's.  Make great and vigourous climbers but am yet to speak to anyone that has successfully picked a furry fruit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal