Author Topic: Seedlings.  (Read 1343 times)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Seedlings.
« on: May 08, 2008, 13:46:55 »
I am growing some lettuce (various types), chicory, spring onions, cucumbers and  sweetcorn in my shed on a shelf under the window. The suns comes in all day and it is very warm. Everything has started to sprout bar a couple of seeds in each tray pot.

What are the rules for transplanting these items outside ? Some trays of lettuce / spring onions have a 3-4 plants coming out in each tray pot. When would be a good time to split them if at all prior to replanting ? Would these need protecting in any way, possibly with a cloche ?

Thanks in advance Flunky  ;D

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Re: Seedlings.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:00:15 »
Can any one offer any advice this ?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:18:28 »
sorry, flunky..I know your lettuce can be planted out now, ours are, you can plant them out in a clump as cut and come again or split them, spring onions the same..don't know about cucs and sweetcorn, ours are under cover and I don't grow chicory  :)

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:46:17 »
I'm in SW London.  Tried cucumbers out last weekend.. all 4 died.

Lettuce out and thriving, and chicory went out last night.

Spring onions generally hardy and can start off much earlier than now.

Courgettes have just gone out.. but this may be the triumph of hope over experience...

What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:58:29 »
You don't say what size pots your seedlings are in. The general rule which works for most plants is to let them develop a good root system before planting out. If the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot that's a good indication! But if they are used to being sunny and warm,  it is best to 'harden off' the plants by putting the pots outside each day for a few days  before actually planting them out or moving them to a cold frame where you can gradually raise the lid and get them, used to cooler nights.

If your sweetcorn are not in individual pots I think I would separate them as soon as possible because they cannot be planted in clumps and do not like having their roots disturbed.

As to timing a lot depends on the part of the country you live in. It may be too early to put sweetcorn out (I haven't even sown mine yet ) but the forecasts for overnight temperatures are looking good.

I haven't grown cucumber before so don't know how tough the outdoor varieties are. Mine are staying in the GH the time being.

Haven't grown chicory either but it is meant to be pretty hardy stuff.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Delboy!  Also in SW London. Will be sowing my courgettes in the GH this w.e. but should have done it a couple of weeks ago.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:06:37 »
thank you all very much for the advice. ;D

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 13:41:50 »
I sow lettuces straight in the ground, then thin them if needed. They dont seem to fair well at being transplanted.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 14:08:35 »
yep mine are sow directly into the lotty i plan on thining out some in about a week or two and pot up for my parents for there garden as cut and come again and move some into places to deter slugs from eating other crops :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal