Author Topic: Brussels Sprouts  (Read 1100 times)

Gazfoz

• Acre
Brussels Sprouts
« on: May 08, 2008, 19:22:18 »
My Mum has just informed me that She will require some Brussels on her plate on Christmas Day.
I have no space cleared but I have a cunning plan ::)
If I wait until the first and second earlies are out of the ground will there be time to put plants that I have bought in there.
Also can anybody recommend a variety that aren't too strong tasting as she will probably insist that I eat some ;D ;D ;D
Bet she also want's some new potatoes at Christmas as well but that as they say is another story.

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
Re: Brussels Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 22:25:28 »
the bedfordshire variety are not a strong taste nice a sweet when a little frost gets them, but they need to be in now.
i have 2 variates this year evesham & the formentioned which i had last year.
If you have a little ground were its not be dug or its well compacted dib a hole and pop them in there give them a good watering in they like a good firm ground & once they are settled in around 2 weeks water as little as you dare let the roots go down and hunt for the water, the one i have in now have only been watered 4 times now & they have been in for 5 weeks they look well good ho sorry watered them today with it being hot
today i will be growin veg!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 21:38:42 »
You could always put some plants in the trustworthy black buckets.    1 per bucket.  Bedford Fillbasket is delicious, but again,  you need to get them in now or latest ; before the end of the month really.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 22:58:22 »
Nothing stopping you germinating some now and transplanting to bigger pots till you have space.

Sprouts like compact soil so if your putting in cabages and stuff for later in the year you can squeeze them in I have been considering putting in with parsnips ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal