Author Topic: pre-chitting sweetcorn, pumpkin and winter squash  (Read 20130 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: pre-chitting sweetcorn, pumpkin and winter squash
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 20:22:12 »
Cheers Jeannine.  :-*    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Orfy

• Not So New ...
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 20:20:57 »
Is it too late to start the chitting now?

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 20:26:06 »
All this talk of pre-chitting,i am growing sweetcorn,pumpkins and squashes for the first time i never pre-chitted mine
and have had 100% germination i,m wondering whether its worth it,or it was begginers luck  ???
I came,isaw,I ran

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 00:01:16 »
Haven't ever pre-chitted sweetcorn & squash I don't think, and they have usually germinated well. Think if the warmth & moisture is right for them they come up fine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 20:11:47 »
I never pre chit actually, other than parsnips. I find the corn and squash grow just fine without as long as they are not kept too wet. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 20:16:35 »
I've been converted to pre-chitting many things after joining this site. It seems like less bending over, no thinning, plus things get started earlier and don't rot in the cold ground before they germinate.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 09:07:09 »
Orfy, I pre-chitted corn, squash, and courgette earlier this week and sowed them yesterday. Had a problem I hadn't had before- the little shoots grew through the kitchen roll and I'm worried I may have damaged them as I separated them.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2008, 09:12:37 »
I have tried pre-chitting parsnips, needed to last year as nothing sown direct came up, so all of my crop came from pre-chits. This year, had good germination from cloched seeds sown direct! I did a few pre-chitted seeds just in case, so used them to fill a gap.

I've never pre-chitted sweetcorn; the best advice I was ever given was to just push the seeds into the soil with the tops uncovered, I use root trainers for these. I had 100% germination within 2 days last week! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008, 10:34:24 »
On a note of transplanting sweetcorn beyond 3 weeks after being planted in pots causing problems: are the problems reduced by planting in fibre pots that are put in the ground and rot so sweetcorn never knows its moved house.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2008, 10:41:03 »
i planted my sweetcorn out in the ground some 3 weeks ago all doing fine south wales

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2008, 11:31:37 »
I've always done mine in loo roll centres and never had any problems after transplanting (just leave the loo rolls on.)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal