Author Topic: Parsnip Germination  (Read 3491 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Parsnip Germination
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 18:03:48 »
Ok, will try to be patient!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 18:39:41 »
Yippeeee The row I sowed a couple of weeks later have been more of a success. I think we must have a had a cold spell this year cos my carrots did'nt germinate either but the ones our Bunjy sowed 2 weeks later were ok. Am not gonna be so eager next year. I have managed to hold back from sowing the squash until now.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 19:52:24 »
I've just discovered a seed tray in my gh that I'd forgotten about that has 3 inch high parsnip seedlings in, is there any point planting these out as I know they don't like root disturbance?  They all look really healthy with their true leaves so would be a shame to waste them.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 19:56:15 »
Experiment what have you got to lose?
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 20:46:26 »
A whole row I planted straight out have all come up.  :o    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 13:47:45 »
OK - silly question time now.  If you pre-chit them on paper in a tuppaware box - when you come to put them out would you press a trench and place them in it at regular intervals and cover.  With what do you cover soil or compost?  Also, would you then water in or would it cause them to rot?   I said it was a silly question (or two!)
twinkletoes

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 17:02:31 »
Not silly at all twinkletoes I'm also in a quandry. I tried prechitting, in fridge for 8 days room temperature for 7 and germination is very irregular didn't know whether to plant all seeds out or just those that have germinated. I opted for planting all in loo rolls but because I'm uncertain should I also so some fresh seed direct to be on the safe side? I know it's a bit late but better late that not at all.
Hope some one comes along soon that can help us.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 17:04:40 »
Just checked- I only sowed mine on 26th May last year, so should be ok.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 17:39:37 »
Thanks Caroline :)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 11:02:47 »
OK - silly question time now.  If you pre-chit them on paper in a tuppaware box - when you come to put them out would you press a trench and place them in it at regular intervals and cover.  With what do you cover soil or compost?  Also, would you then water in or would it cause them to rot?   I said it was a silly question (or two!)
twinkletoes
Not silly at all twinkletoes I'm also in a quandry. I tried prechitting, in fridge for 8 days room temperature for 7 and germination is very irregular didn't know whether to plant all seeds out or just those that have germinated. I opted for planting all in loo rolls but because I'm uncertain should I also so some fresh seed direct to be on the safe side? I know it's a bit late but better late that not at all.
Hope some one comes along soon that can help us.

The idea of prechitting is to see which ones are viable seeds, they should be prechitted in a warm area like airing cupboard or by a radiator. When they start to sprout then you plant out ONLY the ones that have sprouted. I pushed a cane flat into watered ground to form a shallow trench and station sowed 3 seeds every 6/9 inches apart. I then covered them with some soil to just cover the little trench back over. I kept it watered over the next week or so until they appeared and then after another week or so when you can see how they are doing I thinned them out taking out the 2 weaker ones leaving the healthiest looking one. Hope that makes sense.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2008, 17:44:27 »
Should have read that befoer this morning! I got fed up of waiting for all mine to sprout, so sowed about a row and a half of the sprouted ones (2 to each spot), then sowed the rest anyway, 3 to spot. Will let you know if any of the non-sprouted ones come up!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 21:01:32 »
Caroline I think you've done ok, the non sprouted seeds may well sprout and grow and you've increased your chances by putting 3 of those per station. It is all a case of trying and seeing what works for you anyway. Do let us know what hapens.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 16:24:58 »
Thanks glosterwomble - I'm on the case with gusto now.......no time to lose, must fly and find my tuppaware......   Many thanks.
twinkletoes

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 17:28:15 »
Thanks glosterwomble - I'm on the case with gusto now.......no time to lose, must fly and find my tuppaware......   Many thanks.
twinkletoes

Glad to have been of assistance!!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal