Author Topic: possible cat poisend  (Read 3558 times)

daileg

• Hectare
possible cat poisend
« on: May 16, 2008, 19:13:52 »
sorry guys wondering if you cpuld all help my next dooe neibhour has mentioned to me his cat was poisned and a slight insinuation that it was my blue organic slug pellets that have caused this was wondering if anyone knows could this be true
apparently the vet gave him the idea was slug pellets that did this but im not so sure she could of been poisened from so many reasons rotten food ext the cats are out all th time but i couldnt forgive my self thinking if i had done somthing to harm the cat im cat keeper myself not keen on pets myself wouldnt harm an animal in anyway just dont agree them using my garden as a toilet but that doesnt say id do this . could somone give me some advice as to wether these slug pellets could cause the cat harm if she decided to eat them

debster

• Hectare
Re: possible cat poisend
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 19:16:39 »
i was under the impression they are safe for animals

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 19:19:38 »
thats what i thought but thought would list to opinion to see if i was wrong

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 19:26:51 »
Only the iron based ones are safe the blue (metaldehyde and methiocarb) pellets have been known to kill lots of dogs, cats, birds, hedgehogs amphibians etc... There is no antidote for slug pellet poisoning, and it usually leads to a slow and painful death.

To add to the above.
Metaldehyde is officially classed as ‘moderately hazardous’ by the World Health Organisation, which means that while it is effective against slugs, it poses a risk to anything else which also eats it – including pets, wildlife and children.
Further info here:
http://www.nomorepests.co.uk/SlugPelletsAndTheProblems.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 19:33:02 by Baccy Man »

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 19:29:44 »
It will say on the packet if they are animal friendly..have a look! ;)

Lilies can also poison cats- pollen or chewing the leaves- have either of you got them in your gardens????

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 19:32:19 »
I seem to think that the safe ones are not blue, and I am certain know the old blue ones are lethal. Does it not say on the box.If it does and they are safe I would show that to your neighbour, the vet is probably thinking the same as me, he is presuming if they are blue they are poisonous.

Actaully I would like to know this for myself if there are any blue safe ones.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 19:39:14 »
Lily pollen is absolutely deadly poisonous for cats. They can brush against the flower, the pollen gets onto their fur and they lick it clean. When they ingest it they will die a slow horrible painful death while their organs shut down.

Our vets' waiting room has notices about this and I can't understand why it's not publicised more.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 19:49:50 »
Identified as the most dangerous types of lily are: the Easter Lily (Lilium Longiflorum), the Tiger Lily (Lilium Tigrinum), the Rubrum Lily (Lilium Speciosum), the Stargazer Lily (Lilium Orientalis), the Japanese Show Lily (Lilium Lancifolium), Asiatic Lilies and species of the Day Lily (Hemerocalis), but all other types of lily can be harmful (even if it is to a lesser extent) to cats.
Signs of poisoning can include continued vomiting, blindness, paralysis, renal failure, coma and death.

There are a few other harmful plants listed on the RSPCA website.
http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/News/NewsArchive&articleid=1115280258929&newsmode=normal&marker=91

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 19:54:47 »
The organic iron-based pellets that are safe for animals and people are blue and look just like the non-safe ones.  I have the organic ones and the tub is very clear about their safety.  Show it to your neighbour.  Perhaps the cat has been in another garden where they don't use the safe ones.

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 20:02:30 »
I recently picked up what I thought was an animal friendly packet of slug pellets ( they were 1/2 price).
I'd not really read it properly...it actually said 'animal repellent' ( blue coloured )

No use to me- in the bin job!

I've got hedgehogs and cats  ....

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 20:55:43 »
I have blue pellets which say that they are safe for use where there are pets and edible crops, they are also certified for organic use.
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal