Author Topic: Globe artichokes  (Read 2335 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Globe artichokes
« on: July 23, 2004, 22:50:08 »
Late spring I sowed some globe artichoke seeds, after the first sowing failed, and they all germinated and grew nicely.  I have kept them in pots as I didn't really have the room on the plot for them, however, I plan to clear a currently uncultivated area at the start of my plot and plant a bank of artichokes.  My question is....after all this whittering...should I keep them in pots in a frost free place and plant out in spring, or will they be okay planted out early autumn?  I think they are a touch tender, so I could protect with fleece.   ???

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Globe artichokes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 16:08:57 »
Hi EJ-mine are fully winter hardy -I have a free draining soil-they do not like to get waterlogged in the winter.

Please be patient for a year or two-take off the flower heads before they run to flower to allow the plant to grow sturdy.

You can multiply them by taking the `suckers` for want of the proper word from your best plants.

Stephan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 21:59:07 »
Thanks for that Stephan.  In that case I shall get the ground ready....mind you...what sort of position is the best for them?  Full sun, dappled shade, deep shade?  I have all those and every possible variation inbetween.  As they are a luxury for me and only me, like my asparagus, I would like them to be in the best position possible.  ;D

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 01:49:58 »
Full sun. My sole U.K. employer grew his in Essex (Little Hallingbury, if you can find it) too, on london clay, so drainage may not be that critical. They were well established and, being further from the coast than you, subject to cooler conditions than yours will experience. There was no such thing as fleece then either.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 16:10:11 »
Full sun for sure-and London clay is mean stuff(great for sprouts though ;D) so if John says they grew well in it you will have no problems.

Stephan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 22:40:40 »
Thanks boys  :-*  I shall have to find a new position, but it will be worth it.

It looks like 2006 will be a rather endulgant year for this girlie, spring will bring me fresh asparagus and summer will spoil me with fresh artichokes.  Anyone fancy holding on to some homebrew wine and joining me in a couple of years?  ;D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:05:23 »
Does this mean the heads should be taken off when they are still babies? At least one of our is big enough to eat and the rest are coming along.

I did read of someone who grew them as annuals -just resowing each year. The way our are behaving it certainly seems viable.

Jeremy

P.S. E-J, I have a few bottles of 'Hedgerow '02' left, soon to be joined by 'Elderberry 04'  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 12:42:53 »
You have yourself a date Jeremy!  ;)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 04:21:14 »
Due to the cold winters here artichokes are only grown as annuals. Small heads (fashionably called 'baby') are readily available here and are seen as fodder for gourmets.
EJ- I'll start brewing now!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 04:22:54 by john_miller »

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 10:16:05 »
The lady next to me at the plot has a row of artichokes accross her plot. The are all huge and have cropped amazingly (maybe 60 heads). She hasn't picked any of them   :o and now they are turning into the most amazing flowerheads.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 12:21:21 »
Hasn't picked any!  What a shame.  Mind you, they do make amazing plants.  On the island of Mersey near us they grow in the verges around some of the cottages and look great!  Wonder if anyone takes advantage of them.

John, I will hold you to that!  ;D

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 14:27:52 »
Hasn't picked any!  What a shame.  Mind you, they do make amazing plants.  On the island of Mersey near us they grow in the verges around some of the cottages and look great!  Wonder if anyone takes advantage of them.

John, I will hold you to that!  ;D

er..............Mersea?  Mersey is that river in Liverpool... :o :o

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 16:21:32 »
No, that be Mersey Island -home of the other 'Round the Island' race -the one where you have to carry your boat  :o

Jeremy

P.S. -what's the best way to cook these artichoke thingies? Answers in the recipes section please :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 17:33:04 »
Oh I don't know.....dumb blonde me you see.....Mersea in sunny Essex, not Mersey in sunny Liverpool.  Sorry.  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal