Author Topic: Can I put my runner beans in yet ?  (Read 2652 times)

sandra Riley

• Not So New ...
Can I put my runner beans in yet ?
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:31:10 »
I have started my runner beans off in the polytunnel and they have bean transplanted to bigger pots, we have prepared the trench, can I risk putting them out yet ? :-\

silly billy

• Acre
Re: Can I put my runner beans in yet ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:58:04 »
Can you afford to lose them? Personally I would wait until the middle of May at the earliest and maybe even abit later just to be sure.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Lost-The-Plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 13:02:09 »
I am pithering about this too. A packet of Aldi Scarlet Emperors went in at the very end of March and they are now big, healthy and raring to go. The Pole Stars started a week later are not quite so vigorous. Just feels as if we haven't seen the last of the cold weather, even though it's beautiful today but afraid that my beans will start getting asbos if I don't let them out soon. :o

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 14:37:50 »
think it's couple of weeks early at least. I only sowed mine a few days ago. I have planted some french beans outside though.
Remember to harden them off in a sheltered spot for a few days brfore planting them out properly

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 14:47:27 »
transplanted to bigger pots,

How big is bigger?

Are they pot bound?

If not stick a four foot cane in each pot and grow them on in the tunnel for another few weeks.

Let me tell you I have lost plants,and known others to lose their plants as late as the 31st May so if you can predict the weather go ahead but I would wait!!. I base this on the information you have given

Looks like another packet of 'patience' is required ;D

sandra Riley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 15:05:38 »
It doesn't look like they are pot bound so I will wait if thats best, I am going to have to learn the 'patience' thing !  Don't want instant results I just get excited about seeing things grow.  My potatoes are just peeking their leaves through so I will have to get them covered up next.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 15:10:53 »
Hello Lost-the -Plot.... great tag.. Still too early here in the Midlands. A newbie on our site planted some last weekend and they were dead by Tuesday...
 :(

Lost-The-Plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 22:54:07 »
Hello Saddad!
I'm from the Midlands but now a bit further south in Gloucestershire. We lost all our our beans in the floods last year but when we took our canes down - we found the cucumbers I totally forgot I'd planted with them, just as an experiment. They were HUMUNGUS and much too tough for salads but became an ingredient in a very nice pickle. :P

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 22:18:32 »
You can watch these things grow they come up so fast.

If you have cloches or fleece to cover them with, then you could get them in now and put the long canes in later. (put in short canes where the long ones will go so that you can take them out and put the long ones in exactly the same place without harming the bean's roots) Putting the cloches in place a day or two before sowing to help warm up the soil can help too.

Even if we do not get any more frost, they do not seem to gain much advantage from being put in early, without cover. In fact, cold soil and wind chill can slow their progress.

It is hard being patient though innit?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 22:26:38 »
I put my first 12 out today,Scarlet Emporer, with cloche, another dozen just germinated in greenhouse, White Lady, then another dozen of 'Best of All' direct sown in a fortnight. should give me a succession. I also plant some more in July, after onion harvest, can give a late crop, if not it's good for fixing nitrogen in the soil ;)
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal