Author Topic: HORRAH! But advice needed!  (Read 2111 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
HORRAH! But advice needed!
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:02:30 »
The person we sold our last house to, 2 years ago, has offered me the greenhouse I left behind! We will have to dismantle, and of course sods law, couldn't find one on freecycle etc. so built a do it yourself poly in the back garden! So the greenhouse is now destined for the plot.

So heres the question, how do you affix them to the ground on a plottie, without concreting etc. Do you literally plonk it onto the soil and hope it stays with the weight of the glass? It will be on top of a bed.

And just like buses, I was also offered a lean to greenhouse last week..............last year I couldn't find one for free anywhere!  Desperately trying to think where to put that one, wont fit on the side of my house, passageway is too narrow. :(

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: HORRAH! But advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:28:51 »
Morning DP - how about attaching it to the side of the greenhouse........a sort of extension  ;D ;D
twinkletoes

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:15 »
Hiya Doris Pinks

What a week - I would buy a lottery ticket this week as well!!

If it was me putting up the greenhouse I would make a base with breeze blocks or bricks and fix it on to those!  I know that the glass is heavy but if where you are going to site it catches the wind - the wind can shift greenhouses and much more!!

Aren't you lucky - I would also grab the lean to because you will find either someone also wanting one or you will somehow find a way of using it or making something else out of it!!

Good luck with the dismantling - it really isn't that difficult but do remember to take a good pair of gloves with you to move the glass around!!

Old Bird

;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 22:26:32 »
Fab DP!  Have you been in to see what they have done to your old garden and pond??  Mark built a wooden frame which he then staked into the ground, and fixed mine to that.  Now the old boy is back, don't forget to discuss visiting dates!!  He is handy at building greenhouses!  ;)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 23:03:46 »
I have been warned that nought has been done to it for 2 years! >:(  Me poor garden!
She also apparently hates frogs!:o
Best not to go there but I will bite me lip for a greenhouse!!!

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 21:45:02 »
    bolted to railway sleepers

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 10:34:17 »
If it has an H shaped base dug a trench and back fill with pea gravel... or if you site is really windy concrete!! Ask other plot holders about the right way to face it.. or just look at theirs... I've had a shed thrown clear across two plots..
 :-[

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 21:39:34 »
a bolt into a bucket full of concrete under each corner, should hold it!
You couldn't make it up!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 19:51:40 »
ohhhh good ideas, thank you all. Dismantling this Sunday :o, so will have to think on it.
Have asked others on the site and they have just dug trenches and have dropped (not from a great height!) them in! :-\
Mind you it has to get past the dismantling stage in one piece first! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal