Author Topic: Copper rings  (Read 1844 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Copper rings
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:25:57 »
Anyone tried them for keeping slugs off. I'm a sparkie so could make my own was thinking of a 2" diameter and using 3 or 4 turns.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Copper rings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 18:20:14 »
No I haven't tried copper rings because certain slugs which do a lot of damage, like the keeled slug for instance, live in the soil and could therefore easily surface inside the copper ring.  I have tried copper tape around pots and that was useless.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 19:19:23 »
I use them and I've had great success with things I couldn't previously grow like brassicas.  I made my own as the ready-made ones were too expensive.  I bought a sheet of copper off eBay - thin enough to cut with scissors but thick enough to hold the shape.  Cut it into strips 2" deep and long enough to make rings about 2" in diameter.  Made a slit 1/2" in from each end on opposite edges and slotted them together.  Got dozens of rings for £15.  I sow seeds into the rings.  Don't seem to get slugs inside the rings.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 20:33:09 »
There's nothing like the old slugs and snails discussion to get us all disagreeing is there?   ;D  ;D  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 21:47:07 »
Anyone tried them for keeping slugs off. I'm a sparkie so could make my own was thinking of a 2" diameter and using 3 or 4 turns.

Blummin eck a sparking that does,nt weigh in his scrap
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:56:30 »
I know its one of those things i just never get round to.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 13:03:22 »
Once the copper ring becomes tarnished it doesnt have the desired effect......or so I read somewhere !
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 14:00:57 »
Well, mine are nicely weathered and they still seem to work.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 11:43:09 »
Just goes to show that you cant always believe what you read  ;D

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal