Author Topic: Another (tall) tomato problem!  (Read 1308 times)

Stephen

• Not So New ...
  • Still digging...
Another (tall) tomato problem!
« on: May 02, 2008, 14:05:02 »
I sowed my toms about a month ago on a window ledge and they are now about 3 foot high, very leggy and trying to break out of the window!  Will they be ok when I come to put them outside, or should I try again?
 ??? ???

albacore1854

• Half Acre
Re: Another (tall) tomato problem!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 14:09:52 »
I'd sow another batch just in case, alongside, planting the existing ones as deep as you can.

Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 14:13:07 »
Two questions;

Is there any flowers on them?

Is there any side shoots on them?

If you have no flowers on, then cut them down to just above a side shoot, and let that grow on in place of the tall stem you have now, or as already been said sow some more.

Stephen

• Not So New ...
  • Still digging...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 15:07:20 »
Thanks- no flowers or side shoots so I'll try a bit of both! :)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 17:23:11 »
i accidently snapped a good tomato plant in half, soooo.....   i put the top half in water and a new pot and its gone on to root fine, you could try this?

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 17:31:44 »
hi stephen i have experienced various problems the first batch i had all died bar one plant then my leaves are going brown i have learnt this could be from a mineral problem or overwatering them so ive slowed the watering right down what i was going to say was your plants are legy cos they were kept in the dark too long did you put them in your airing cudboard at all i did the first time i have also been told you can cover some new soil over the stemb up to the first set of leaves but make surethere a few inch befor you try this as they need to be a bit strong the stems that is   

Stephen

• Not So New ...
  • Still digging...
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 17:38:43 »
Think I'll show them who's boss and get the scissors out! 8)

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 08:06:59 »
Just plant them deep, they'll root from the stem. Mine always end up leggy, it's never stopped me getting a good crop, if anything it just means the first truss is well above ground level, and the leaves out of the dirt.

Mind you I'm able to plant outside early as I'm in the south, I suppose it depends were you are.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 22:32:25 »
The side shoots will make new plants if you want, it is quicker than sowing fresh seeds.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal